Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP Chicken tagine with olives and lemon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP Chicken tagine with olives and lemon

by Jenise » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Since falling in love with this Moroccan classic a few years ago at Momo Restaurant in London, I tried a number of different recipes, but this one--posted on the old FLDG by Ted Richards--is the one that made me stop looking any further. It's fabulous, and it was a big hit at a Middle Eastern feast I helped cook for last weekend. Worth bringing to the attention of anyone who didn't see it and try it before.

Two special features: the chicken doesn't need browning. In fact, it doesn't even need skin--last weekend we used bone-in but skinless chicken thighs exclusively. And the lemons don't need preserving--we used fresh sliced right off the tree.

Date: 9/4/04 9:42
Author: Ted Richards, Toronto Email
Subject: RC: Chicken Tagine with Olives and Lemon
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made this recipe tonight and decided it's a keeper. I actually made half the recipe, using two half chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.

It went well with couscous, carrots cooked in chicken broth and Château des Charmes Aligoté.

Chicken Tagine with Olives and Lemon

16 garlic cloves, peeled
¾ c. chopped fresh cilantro
¾ c. chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 c. chopped onions
½ c. fresh lemon juice
½ c. olive oil
2 Tbsp paprika
4 tsp grated lemon peel
2 tsp ground cumin
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp saffron threads
a 3½ lb chicken, backbone removed, chicken quartered
¾ c. pitted oil-cured black olives
1½ lemons, thinly sliced
1½ c. water
Finely chop garlic, cilantro and parsley in processor. Transfer to bowl. Add onions and next 9 ingredients; mix well. Add chicken, olives and lemons; toss. Cover; chill at least 2 hours and up to one day.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Put chicken and seasonings in large ovenproof pot. Add 1½ c. water. Cover; bake until chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour. Transfer to platter. Spoon juices over.

Based on a recipe in Bon Appétit, May 2001
Last edited by Jenise on Fri May 05, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RC: Chicken tagine with olives and lemon

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Yes! This recipe's a definite keeper. I've enjoyed it many times since it was originally posted on the old FLDG.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:26 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Yes! This recipe's a definite keeper. I've enjoyed it many times since it was originally posted on the old FLDG.

-Paul W.

Me, too. By the way, when I copied this over today, I also emailed Ted. We haven't seen him in awhile.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Me too

by Howard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:57 pm

Great stuff, I've made it several times and always enjoyed it.
Howard
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:44 am

Thank you - sounds great! I'm also happy for once to a recipe for Tajina without dried fruit. They make me shudder. They've always seemed a French invention but the proper N. African versions never use them.

Ch des Charmes Aligoté? Was that from Ontario? I guess I should have known that Aligoté was grown elsewhere than Burgundy but I've never before heard of one. Interesting.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.