Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Hope all you Americans had a good Thanksgiving. What's your bestest ever recipe for left over turkely?

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

by Jenise » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:51 pm

No help for you from my kitchen. I do not like the taste of recooked meat (when the original meat was grilled or roasted--braised or stewed is just fine), so what doesn't get eaten cold is virtually unusable to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Our 12-year old niece is making Chinese steamed pork buns but with turkey substituted. We'll see, as I am with Jenise on reusing turkey.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:54 pm

I have no problem with things like turkey a la king or just turkey sandwiches. 'Bird bao' might be challenging with dry meat though.....
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Many years ago I declared the Sunday after Thanksgiving as "National Turkey Soup Day". I still celebrate it, even though it never seemed to catch on. Mine, this year will be made with home made noodles.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have no problem with things like turkey a la king or just turkey sandwiches. 'Bird bao' might be challenging with dry meat though.....

I'm hoping she uses thigh meat! Bird bao! :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Sliced turkey breast with the crispy skin, on Green Onion, Garlic Bread, toasted, with our home made cranberry sauce. Breast is all sliced for sandwiches. Dark meat goes into enchiladas or soup. Bits and pieces go into containers for adding to dog kibble.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!

Mashed poatatoes are good that way too...I usually add green onion or chives. I don't press into a waffle iron, just form patties and crisp up.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

That's a great idea for stuffing and a great use for a George Foreman grill or other panini-making type of utensil.

I personally like turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce. We traveled out of state for T-Day this year, so I'm going to have to cook a turkey myself if I want the leftovers. I expect to do so next weekend.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Turkey bao just might work. The traditional cha siu bao is made with Cantonese roast pork, which is a rather dry cooked meat. It's why the steamed bun stuffing always involves a thick sauce. The same technique should work with leftover turkey.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Mind if I put a fried egg on that?

Jenise wrote:Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 pm

left over stuffing isn't a problem. I love the stuff! I did an 11 lb bird for 12 adults + 2 toddlers. I could have done a 12-13 pounder. It was really too close. Our guests are all Pat's family. They like old fashioned "simple" food. To make things easier I purchase TJ's gravy and add frozen stock from last year and a bit of thickener. It works out well. The mashed potatoes I used the recipe using cream cheese that can be done a day or two earlier. It also went over well. For the green bean casserole I used TJs portobello mushroom soup. Never again! I will go back to the Campbell recipe but still use frozen beans rather than canned. Glad it is over!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:19 pm

John F wrote:Mind if I put a fried egg on that?

Exactly what my friends did!