Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RIP Judy Rodgers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RIP Judy Rodgers

by Jenise » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm heartbroken today to learn of Judy Rodgers' death. Cancer--she was only 57. Her Zuni Café cookbook is one of my most favorite books, and it's the one I've given copies away as gifts more than any other. It's a favorite, honestly less for the recipes, though they are excellent, than for the gracefully detailed way she describes how and where she fell in love with the food and the measured steps that will produce the best possible result. Like most great chefs she was not a scientist, but she was one of the most intuitive cooks I've ever known of, and her book was a successfully comprehensive attempt to put what she knew on paper. For people who read cookbooks like novels and for whom no detail is too small, her book is Cooking Lit at it's finest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: RIP Judy Rodgers

by Lou Kessler » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I know my wife has her cookbook and I do know we get to enjoy that famous Zuni chicken now and then. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Sad. That's way too young, and it really doesn't seem fair. :(
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:41 pm

That's a book we used to cook from frequently but have drifted away from over the years. I'll have to find it and make something in her honor.

Sad to hear this news.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child