The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: "The Odd Couple" er, I mean, "Quadruple"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

WTN: "The Odd Couple" er, I mean, "Quadruple"

by AaronW » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:07 pm

2005 d'Arenberg "The Stump Jump" South Australia McLaren Vale 13.5%alc.
Riesling 63%, Sauvignon Blanc 20%, Marsanne 10%, Roussanne 7%

Part of the back label reads:

"Since 1912 the Osborn family has tended the 19th Century vineyard at their d'Arenberg winery located in McLaren Vale, Southern Australia.
The land for many of the regions old vineyards was originally cleared using a 'stump jump' plough, the South Australian invention which enabled the ploughshare to jump over the gnarled 'mallee' Eucalyptus roots, saving valuable time and resources..."

This is quite an interesting/odd foursome. I don't personally identify with Marsanne or Roussanne-- I've never tasted either in a respective manner, unblended. However, from what I can taste with what I am familiar with, it seems quite obvious to me who the star performers are in this wine-drama. And even with only a co-starring role, the SB has tremendous influence here. The nose is a little perfumy-herbaceous-grassy-fruity as one might expect with this combo, but not necessarily an intense bouquet, just--- "there". On the palate-- this is where the intensity is --very bright and puckery-acidic (how could it NOT be), Granny Smith apple, gooseberry, tart citrus with light/med. body. Finishing off it's got a bit of an herby-bitter nuance but I would NOT call it vegetal. Although not necessarily complex, overall it's quite zippy and refreshing.
Count on the Aussies to throw together a rebel-combo like this one, although it appears as though their adventuresome antics is paying off; I hear this one is quite popular here in the states. Anyhoo, until next time-- "Cheers"!

P.S. Anyone have any recommendations for a Marsanne or Roussanne based wine to get me initiated?
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: "The Odd Couple" er, I mean, "Quadruple"

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:19 am

Your winery D`Arenberg there makes a Rousanne, $28 Cdn.
Look for Ch Tahbilk Marsanne, check wine-searcher.com
There are a fair number of Languedoc wineries doing these varietals, Ch de Nages is one you might find.
Also Garretson has a great portfolio you should look into. Mat posts here as Mr Viognier.

Cheers Bob P/aka Doris.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Re: WTN: "The Odd Couple" er, I mean, "Quadruple"

by AaronW » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Your winery D`Arenberg there makes a Rousanne, $28 Cdn.
Look for Ch Tahbilk Marsanne, check wine-searcher.com
There are a fair number of Languedoc wineries doing these varietals, Ch de Nages is one you might find.
Also Garretson has a great portfolio you should look into. Mat posts here as Mr Viognier.

Cheers Bob P/aka Doris.

Thanks a bunch, Bob; er, I mean, Doris?
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.