Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Trisha Yearwood and her Eye of Round Roast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Trisha Yearwood and her Eye of Round Roast

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:26 pm

I was waiting for a service person to come yesterday afternoon and decided to surf a bit. Came across Trisha Yearwood...never knew she had a cooking show. Cooking? Well not really. She talked on and on about a family roast that was to die for and that is what that "good southern girl" did yesterday. She floured, salt and peppered an Eye of Round Roast. Browned in well, put it in a pan with cans of French Onion Soup and Golden Mushroom soup, both from Campbell's. I am the first to admit that I also use canned soup for different recipes and they are mighty fine products to cook with...but do a cooking show using canned soup? Seems elementary to me. I was shocked that after browning really well, she announced the roast would cook for three hours. That cut of roast is very lean and I cannot see how it would stand up to a three hour braise. Asparagus spears were blanched while still in their rubber band bundle. :shock: These were put into a casserole dish topped with hard boiled sliced eggs, while she announced the southerners put hard boiled eggs into everything. Really? A white sauce was made and spread over the asparagus and then all was topped with cheese. Did not look at all appetizing. Then we, the audience got to watch as she and her band ate and moaned on how good it all was.

edit: I just did a bit of searching on this and found out that this dish has been around a long time. Many said, "mom used to do it this way". Hummmm, may just have to try this with this lean piece of meat. I do like the French Onion Soup and Cream of Mushroom soups. I do not like the Golden Cream of Mushroom soup she used. Anyone else use this cut with the braising method?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Trisha Yearwood and her Eye of Round Roast

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Have never done Eye of Round in any way, shape, or form. Any thoughts as to what it's best-suited for?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

II've had it this way....

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm

RCP: Beef and Mushroom Platter
by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:42 am

Doing a buffet? Here is a great recipe from a friend in OR that we had at her home on a couple of occasions, and I have made it, as well. I love the use of the Eye of Round roast

Beef and Mushroom Platter

2 C water Few drops of lemon juice
Dash of salt 1 lg white onion separated into rings

Combine first three ingredients. Bring to a boil in a sauce pan. Drop onion rings into the boiling water. Remove immediately and drain.

15 large mushrooms 1 tsp salt
1-1/2 pounds cold cooked eye of round roast
cut into thin slices 1/2 tsp Marjoram crushed
1/2 C red wine vinegar 1/4 tsp chervil crushed
1 C oil 1/4 tsp freshly freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. Dijon mustard 2 tbs chopped parsley

Slice mushrooms lengthwise into thick slices. Arrange meat, onion rings and mushrooms in 13x9x2 dish. Stir together remaining ingredients except parsley and pour over meat and vegetables. Cover with clear plastic and chill several hours or overnight basting occasionally.

To serve, remove meat and vegetables from marinade, drain and arrange on a lettuce lined platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve cold.

The marinade will accommodate more than 1 1/2 pounds of meat and veggies. You can also use less oil. You need just enough to hold the marinade on the meat and veggies.

I cook the meat to med. well. Just cook it to your particular taste. Rare is just fine. Enjoy
no avatar
User

Timo Olavi

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Helsinki

by Timo Olavi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:01 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Have never done Eye of Round in any way, shape, or form. Any thoughts as to what it's best-suited for?

i'm not sure i've ever seen the cut at any of the grocers' here in finland (no surprise there) and can't remember if i ever used it at work either, but it looks like it'd make a crazy good steak tartare. or, perhaps bresaola :) as it is so lean, i feel using heat would just diminish it's potential
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Have never done Eye of Round in any way, shape, or form. Any thoughts as to what it's best-suited for?

We've generally avoided round, preferring chuck for pot roasts and rib roasts for straight roasting. But we did this "oven off" eye of round and enjoyed (but mostly because of the sauce)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/magaz ... .html?_r=0
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Dale Williams wrote:

We've generally avoided round, preferring chuck for pot roasts and rib roasts for straight roasting. But we did this "oven off" eye of round and enjoyed (but mostly because of the sauce)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/magaz ... .html?_r=0

I'm not a fan of the cut finding that other cuts have it beat for flavor and texture in most things I do, like you, but I do use it when preparing beef for French dip sandwiches because the one-big-muscle aspect of it is perfect for thin machine-slicing after it cools, and then it's going to sit in a strong broth from which it will pick up huge flavors. But easy, uniform slices is also why it works so well in Karen's dish and this recipe you provide (going to have to try that, thanks for the link!).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Jenise wrote:...perfect for thin machine-slicing after it cools...

Bingo. It's a good cut to make cold roast beef from.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:...perfect for thin machine-slicing after it cools...

Bingo. It's a good cut to make cold roast beef from.

I worked for a caterer long, long ago and that's what she did and used for her roast beef sandwiches. She swore by the cut for that.

FWIW, I watched a few of Trisha Yearwood's shows and actually found her to be quite funny and charming. Not sure if I'd ever make any of her food, but still enjoyed her personality.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:02 pm

FWIW, I watched a few of Trisha Yearwood's shows and actually found her to be quite funny and charming. Not sure if I'd ever make any of her food, but still enjoyed her personality.

She is that Carrie. Nice TV personality, and I enjoyed that she involves her family and family stories into her show.