Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:32 am

And refrigeration!!! Don't get me started on this issue.....

I'd like to get you started on this subject, because curious minds want to know. I watched a reality show last week about a couple who eats raw. They drink raw eggs because supposedly they have a calming effect. The kitchen counter was loaded with cartons of eggs ready for anyone to crack open and drink. I was horrified because I have never seen eggs not being kept under refrigeration. I was always told the best way to store them is in the egg carton they come in and put into the fridge. The eggs I buy at the Farmer's Market are organic and the chickens run all over the place, eating bugs, and the special foods they are fed by the farmer. My grandfather raised chickens ( 60 years ago) and he put the eggs into cartons, then into a fridge he kept in a building next to the chicken houses. They were sold to local grocery stores. So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
And refrigeration!!! Don't get me started on this issue.....

I'd like to get you started on this subject, because curious minds want to know.

Here's an authoritative article, Karen, well worth reading all the way through.
http://io9.com/americans-why-do-you-kee ... 1465309529

Long story short, Europeans generally don't refrigerate eggs but Americans do, but we have a reason: Our eggs get washed to make them pretty, and that removes a protective layer that Europeans know enough to keep but we lose because we want our eggs to look pretty and clean. :( There's also the issue of serious contamination problems with Big Agra's "industrial eggs" being frequently loaded with salmonella or e. coli. :P Bottom line, unless you buy unwashed eggs from a neighbor who has chickens, you're probably more prudent to refrigerate in this country.

Personally, though, I'm not too worried about regional free-range eggs bought even from larger local producers with good reputations. When we had a couple of bad power failures a couple of years ago (Hurricane Ike's weird inland venture, then a bad ice storm), we went with the Euro model and did not discard our eggs, and they were fine.

But I wouldn't do that with industrial eggs from battery hens. Of course, I don't buy or eat those eggs any more. :P
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:http://io9.com/americans-why-do-you-keep-refrigerating-your-eggs-146530952

That was a really interesting article. I had no idea it was actually illegal to refrigerate eggs for commercial sale in Europe. Fascinating, if unsettling, stuff.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Ditto what Robin said! :D
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?

If your kitchen warms up quite a bit when you are cooking, like mine does, then I probably wouldn't leave them on the counter. Like Robin's article mentioned - a temp of mid 60s to low 70s is ideal. Better to store them in a cool pantry or basement than an area with temperature swings. You should be good for at least 2-3 weeks if you do that. You should also ask the farmer you buy eggs from if they wash them or not. Better to buy eggs with a bit of debris on them and then wash them just before using, if you are worried about contamination.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote: So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?

If your kitchen warms up quite a bit when you are cooking, like mine does, then I probably wouldn't leave them on the counter. Like Robin's article mentioned - a temp of mid 60s to low 70s is ideal. Better to store them in a cool pantry or basement than an area with temperature swings. You should be good for at least 2-3 weeks if you do that. You should also ask the farmer you buy eggs from if they wash them or not. Better to buy eggs with a bit of debris on them and then wash them just before using, if you are worried about contamination.

I'm not worried about contamination, but others must be because the eggs are clean. We used to have a farmer at the market that sold fertilized eggs.....few bought them. Now she sells eggs that are not fertilized.
Previous