The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Seeking TN on the 2003 Cinq Cepages

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Seeking TN on the 2003 Cinq Cepages

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:29 am

:?: After a search without any results, I'm compelled to ask if anyone has any experience with the 2003 Cinq Cepages? I'm thinking of Christmas dinner. Is it too soon to open to enjoy?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Seeking TN on the 2003 Cinq Cepages

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:07 am

Jon, just checked my notes and it was the 02 I had a few weeks ago, so no help here. And so I checked Cellar Tracker's store of user notes and only found one entry for the 03. Looks like everyone's leaving the 03 alone, but my experience is the Cinq Cepages usually show well early, or at least with a decanter and some coaxing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:50 am

Thank you, Jenise. I may reconsider my selection, but it sounds like decanters are especially in order and decanting about an hour before dinner.
Merry Christmas to you.
JP
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:31 pm

Here's what Laube had to say about it:

Austere, with spicy red currant, black cherry, herb and berry notes that are balanced on the lean, tannic side. Drink now through 2010. 12,600 cases made. $75, 86 points. –JL
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:42 pm

Thank you, Randy - good news especially since I paid about $40 at Costco.
JP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:30 pm

Jon, adding to the good news: Laube panned the 02 as well, but I thought it was perfectly splendid.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Laube panned the 02

So did Tanzer:

Spicy cassis and sassafras on the nose; turned quite oaky as it opened in the glass. Juicy, supple and flavorful, with currant and spice flavors joined by an herbal element on the back. Finishes with building tannins and a green quality that became more pronounced with aeration. 86 points

That is my complaint with CP -- quite oaky for my palate.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Jenise wrote: but my experience is the Cinq Cepages usually show well early, or at least with a decanter and some coaxing.

I know you know that your ability to drink this stuff mystifies me, speaking of Waaaat? The wine might impart a similar experience to some of the '03 Bordeaux. I realize it is probably good wine because knowledgeable people drink it.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Hey, Jon, good to see you posting here. Welcome (back, sort of . . .)
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
Laube panned the 02

So did Tanzer:

Spicy cassis and sassafras on the nose; turned quite oaky as it opened in the glass. Juicy, supple and flavorful, with currant and spice flavors joined by an herbal element on the back. Finishes with building tannins and a green quality that became more pronounced with aeration. 86 points

That is my complaint with CP -- quite oaky for my palate.

Understood, Bucko. Someone brought this to dinner a month or two ago. I probably liked it for the very reasons Laube and Tanzer didn't. Laube gave it a low 80's score (I looked up reviews the next day, curious.) It wasn't huge, and the herbal quality was well balanced with spice and fruit which is rather Bordeauxish, even if sweeter and more forward. Also, it had plenty of acid to balance the oak. It was the most complex of the wines on the table, and wasn't full of jammy red fruit like the surprising crowd favorite, a Smith & Hook.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Covert wrote:
Jenise wrote: but my experience is the Cinq Cepages usually show well early, or at least with a decanter and some coaxing.

I know you know that your ability to drink this stuff mystifies me, speaking of Waaaat? The wine might impart a similar experience to some of the '03 Bordeaux. I realize it is probably good wine because knowledgeable people drink it.

See my reply to Randy. Also, speaking of mystified, I don't understand how you can not just drink but PREFER heavily-toasted-oak Califiornia chardonnays like Souverain. Egads. And I have another friend who professes to love Bordeaux, but he also loves not just Australian shiraz but Barossa region shiraz for that extreme, sweet ripeness. How is THAT possible? With him, I just have to think he loves Bordeaux because he thinks he should, but name/price/prestige considerations aside he'd live on Barossa wines.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Don't get me wrong -- I only speak for my palate. I'd never denigrate anyone for their preferences in wine. I might try to steer them to classic styles to see if they might have an "awakening" but if they are happy drinking oaky CA Cabs, more power to them. I was happy drinking Kistler Chard many moons ago until I tasted a good Chablis. There is no right or wrong in wine, only personal preferences.

Make no mistake, CP is a very well-made wine. The style is deliberate, but it is not for me personally, especially at the price point. I'd rather spend the same money on a Pichon Baron or Pichon Lalande.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome back. I drifted away and realized what and who I was missing.
JP
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:01 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:The style is deliberate, but it is not for me personally, especially at the price point. I'd rather spend the same money on a Pichon Baron or Pichon Lalande.

That's what the proprietor of one of my favorite small wine shops said when I asked him about Spottswoode. 8)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:15 pm

That's what the proprietor of one of my favorite small wine shops said when I asked him about Spottswoode.

He's obviously a very astute fellow! :wink:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:46 am

Randy, after all that, I went with the 1997 BV Delatour Reserve. It was quite nice, just showing its age, especially having followed a bottle of 2000 BV Tapestry. Have a great New Year.
JP