The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two w/ Dinner..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two w/ Dinner..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 pm

We tried these two (among others) last night w/ seared tuna:
1. Ryme Vermentino LasBrisasVnyd/Carneros (His; www.RymeCellars.com) 2011: Med.gold/burnished bronze color; somewhat phenolic/cidery/orangey very spicy/savory some floral/Vermentino/perfumed complex/exotic nose; fairly tart rather dry/austere some phenolic/savory/cidery/orangey bit floral/Vermentino/orangey light smokey/pungent complex flavor w/ light/lean tannins; very long/lingering some phenolic/cidery/savory/resiny light orangey/floral/Vermentino/spicy slight smokey/pungent/smoked hot dog exotic/complex finish w/ light tannins; seems to be losing some of its strong phenolic character & developing some Vermentino aromatics; a very attractive/savory/exotic white.
2. Ch.Tirecul LaGraviere LesPins AC: Monbazillac (12%; www.ViniBilancini.com; www.EuropeanCellars.com) Claudie & Bruno Bilancini 2011: Deep gold color; very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/ripe/Sauternes-like slight volatile/earthy complex beautiful nose; quite sweet soft very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/creme brulee/butterscotchy slight earthy beautiful/uncoutous flavor; very long/lingering slight volatile/hot very intense/botrytis/apricotty/peachy/creme brulee bit soft slight earthy finish; a beautiful very intense Sauternes that has a long life ahead of it at a great price. $24.00/hlf (BWM)
1. Ryme: Ryan & Megan Glaab make two Vermentinos from FrankMahoney's LasBrisas vnyd. The "Hers" is made by standard/conventional white wine techniques and is almost always my favorite because of its wonderful aromatics. The "His" is made w/ skin-contact thru fermentation, then finished in a reductive manner. It usually has a strong tannic/phenolic character to it that I find a bit harsh/austere.
I was totally blindsided by this wine. When I last had it over a yr ago, the tannic & phenolic character was very strong and it was not a big favorite of mine. Now, with a yr of age, the tannic component seems to have greatly reduced and the floral Vermentino aromatics seem to be coming more apparent. I liked this exotic wine considereably more than I did a yr ago. Never would have thunk.
2. Tirecul: I've had many btls of this top-level Monbazillac over the yrs, especially the Cuvee Madame. I had never done did see'd this LePins label before & didn't recognize it as Tirecul. An amazingly good Sauternes.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Two w/ Dinner..(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Happy New Year, Tom; shouldn't that be "never would of thunk?"
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Prolly...

by TomHill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Happy New Year, Tom; shouldn't that be "never would of thunk?"

Probably, Steve. As you well know, English is my second language. Usually speak Kansan.
And a good year to you all as well. Gonna be some good drinkin' at Larry's tonight.
Tom