Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Favorite Dinnerware-1950s

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Favorite Dinnerware-1950s

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:34 pm

OK, we only drag out this Bob White pattern from Red Wing (MN) Pottery a couple of times/year, but it still brings a smile to my face. It ain't fancy nor expensive china but to me represents a bit of 1950s Americana. Thanks for allowing me to share.

Bob White.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Favorite Dinnerware-1950s

by Tom NJ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:13 pm

I like that! It looks happy.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Tom NJ wrote:I like that! It looks happy.

Yeah, me too ... I was expecting something more tacky and plastic, but that's folk art. (We have something kind of similar, a bunch of plates from Mary's family made by Hadley Pottery in Louisville. Real stoneware with simple designs, honest and fun.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:00 pm

When we first encountered a piece or two of this pattern in the mid-1990s, I immediately had to have more. All the remaining settings/platters were acquired piece by piece at various junk shops, flea markets and yard sales over the course of 2 or 3 years. The dinner plates are huge and are slightly bowl shaped giving testament to the larger servings and hearty, artery-clogging "cuisine" of that era.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey parders - how 'bout these for 50s BBQ kitsch:

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Bill-
I would have loved to have had a plate like that when I was a young'n. I hated to have different foods touch on the plate and was forced to build mashed potato dams to keep all the various juices in their proper place.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Yup - big pocket for meat and a couple of small ones for a veg and mashed taters and gravy - all a kid could want. They are mid 1950s vintage. Now that Jenise knows I have them I may have to get them out to serve her when she comes to dinner! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Redwinger wrote:When we first encountered a piece or two of this pattern in the mid-1990s, I immediately had to have more. All the remaining settings/platters were acquired piece by piece at various junk shops, flea markets and yard sales over the course of 2 or 3 years. The dinner plates are huge and are slightly bowl shaped giving testament to the larger servings and hearty, artery-clogging "cuisine" of that era.

How fun to put together a collection that way!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Jenise wrote:
How fun to put together a collection that way!

It was fun. This was prior to the internet becoming ubiquitous. I'm sure today, I would simply visit a few websites and accomplish the same thing, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as the old-fashioned way. And, that is coming from a guy who doesn't really like browsing yard sales and junk shops, antiques places, and whatnot.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 am

Very cool, Winger. Your comment about collecting the old-fashion way versus using the internet piqued my curiosity. You are correct, one can find quite an assortment of replacement pieces for this pattern online. What was really interesting was a look at the many pieces this producer made. If you use Google Images to search "Red wing pottery, bob white pattern" you may find more desirable pieces that you'd like to add to your collection...the old-fashion way, of course.

JB
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 am

JB-
Having lived in Red Wing, MN for a few years, it is amazing the cult-like following this stoneware outfit has, particularly in that area. They also have a "collector society" that is quite active and holds an annual hootenanny in Red Wing. The original company folded in the 1960's IIRC, but a newer version was formed a while back to carry on the tradition but on a smaller scale and not quite the same variety and quality. Their salesroom has a large wall with samples of all the dinnerware patterns they produced over the years...must be close to 100---but again, my memory may be slightly tarnished.
FWIW, Red Wing, MN is a smallish town that sits on the west bank of the upper Mississippi River and is very scenic. Well worth a stop if anyone should find themselves wandering the upper Midwest...just not in winter :wink: . Even in the winter it has appeal. That stretch of the River is one of the few areas that does not freeze over during the cold weather, so this time of year you will encounter large flocks of bald eagle feeding along the water. Hundreds or even thousands within a few miles. it was very impressive. At the time, my "corner office", located in the historic St James Hotel building, had a huge window overlooking the river and it was hypnotic to watch these huge bids swoop in for their dinner.
Enough of this reliving the past, time for breakfast.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 am

This is so interesting, Bill! I love this kind of thing. This interview with Larry Roschen was very informative. I am intrigued by the "lunch hour pottery"; never heard of that before. Fortunately, my collecting days are (somewhat) behind me. I use to think having an entire room devoted to collections of dinnerware would be wonderful...now, I'm happy to just read about unique pieces.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/red-wing-beyond-the-crock-larry-roschen-on-the-stoneware-legends-dinnerware/

JB