Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Christmas gifts?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Food Christmas gifts?

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Coffee, coffee, coffee! I received 3 different Kona whole bean coffees from my son in Hawaii, a Tanzanian peaberry from another son, and half pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain, which I won on a bet with a Miami Dolphins fan who lives in Florida. We bet a "cup" of coffee on each Bills-Dolphins game. The past few years the teams have split, but this year the Bills won both games, so she sent me the Jamaican. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Food Christmas gifts?

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I give a lot of food Christmas gifts. This year it was a lot of spices, salts and such. Plus bottles all around of one of the better barbeque sauces from our new home in Carolina.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 pm

I also received a box of assorted Penzey's spices. As for giving away, I gave away a lot of home made wine. ;)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:45 am

New cookbook having to do with seasonal recipes, food to table sort of thing with family stories, on planting veggies, herbs, and so on. Plus, a new chef's knife and a stove top smoker. I gave a basket of goodies, which contained locally grown and made items. Pomegranate Balsamic, along with evoo, almonds,walnuts, honey, and a beautiful small cutting board, which the recipients announced too beautiful to cut on, so they are using it as a vessel to hold cheeses, grapes, crackers, other types of finger foods for their many entertaining events.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I made a big batch of pimento cheese for a Christmas party! Does that count? It was good, too ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:45 pm

Santa brought me a Staub dutch oven and a stainless steel paella pan. No dummy, that Santa. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Got wine from a daughter and brother, and Christmas cookies (from our recipes) from two daughters. Good stuff from brother (a Pinot and a Rioja), and local stuff (not the best) from daughter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:49 am

We received a lot of cookies and the like from friends and neighbors. Betsy baked a bunch of sweet breads (banana/chocolate/candied ginger and a cranberry/nut bread) and we gave to about 16 neighbors or friends (about 6 got a bottle of wine as well)

Beyond that, Betsy gave me a Durand (special corkscrew for older bottles) and David Kinch’s Manresa cookbook (we ate there together, but this might not be cookbook we use the most- lots of specialty equipment required). I also got from friends a cheese pictorial encyclopedia and a big round of Bleekman Blaak (a Hudson valley goat/cow cheese). I gave Betsy Chef sleeves (disposable covers for her IPad for cooking).

We gave Dave a ramen book and an HMart (Korean supermarket) gift card, and my brother-n-law a pressure cooker - think that's it for food related stuff.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 pm

A new toaster oven for the counter top. Unfortunately, we also need a counter top. We're now in the process of looking for a small table to put in the pantry so we can set it up. It will be good to have, though - it's pretty ridiculous to heat the whole oven up to broil one piece of cheese on toast.

Also received an extremely cool pizza cutter in the shape of the starship Enterprise.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy gave me a Durand (special corkscrew for older bottles)

Nice. My mother gave me a Laguiole corkscrew (which I had requested) and after I opened it she was quick to regale the whole family with tales of how expensive it was (although I never got the actual number), prompting them to guffaw and mention the free corkscrews they had gotten over the years were just the same, etc.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Nice. My mother gave me a Laguiole corkscrew (which I had requested) and after I opened it she was quick to regale the whole family with tales of how expensive it was (although I never got the actual number), prompting them to guffaw and mention the free corkscrews they had gotten over the years were just the same, etc.

Of course! All corkscrews are the same, just as all cars are the same, all jobs are the same, all houses are the same....
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Our best friends come over for Christmas dinner every year and this year brought us a nice bottle of Blood Orange infused olive oil and white peach balsamic vinegar. Can't wait to make salad dressing out of that olive oil with some of the Trader Joe's orange champagne vinegar I just picked up.
We also got the usual gifts in the mail… Harry and David pears (yes, very good), a wine and cheese basket, Pecans three ways, Popcorn five ways, and some mini, mini chocolate chip cookies that are ridiculously addictive. Oh and one of my step-daughters got me some neat, self-releasing cake pans.
Happy New Year everyone!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:52 pm

I received a few lovely things: an interesting bacon salt from my friend David, local Canadian honey from David and Nadine, a pair of 10" long Chef tweezers for complex platings, some purple 'moscato' salt that Bob found somewhere and which I'm loving, and a Gramercy Tavern cookbook. Bob bought me the latter--and I have absolutely no idea what set THAT idea in his head when the super obvious Manresa and Mhyrvold mentions I really did make (including making him sit through a Charlie Rose interview) didn't take one little bit!--but it won't be uninteresting. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Howie Hart wrote: As for giving away, I gave away a lot of home made wine. ;)

And how is that different from the other 364 days of the year, Howie? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:43 am

I always make homemade gifts for my staff to pass out at the Christmas party each year. This year I made salted caramel sauce and spicy Mexican chocolate sauce packaged in 5 oz Weck jars. The recipes came from the book Modern Sauces by Martha Holmberg (I also give them a copy of the recipes). It was a big hit this year. :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Our best friends come over for Christmas dinner every year and this year brought us a nice bottle of Blood Orange infused olive oil and white peach balsamic vinegar. Can't wait to make salad dressing out of that olive oil with some of the Trader Joe's orange champagne vinegar I just picked up.
We also got the usual gifts in the mail… Harry and David pears (yes, very good), a wine and cheese basket, Pecans three ways, Popcorn five ways, and some mini, mini chocolate chip cookies that are ridiculously addictive. Oh and one of my step-daughters got me some neat, self-releasing cake pans.
Happy New Year everyone!

The Orange Champagne Vinegar is one of my favorite vinegars Carrie...usually have several bottles in my pantry. Let me know how you like it with the Blood Orange olive oil. I've used it with several olive oils, and it seems to work nicely with everything. What brand of olive oil did you get? I've tried the Extravagonzo Blood Orange which also 20% grapeseed in it.