The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Dinner wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

WTNs: Dinner wines

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm

My wife and I were invited to another couple’s house for dinner recently and enjoyed some really inventive dishes and several excellent wines with them.

NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé. This is broad and generous on the nose, but also a bit spiky and minerally—showing fine and elegant aromas of dried red flowers, strawberries, graphite and white pepper. In the mouth, it’s fresh, vibrant and crunchy, with taut but giving flavors of strawberries, cherries and minerals. It has a certain elegance I like, but it also delivers a solid punch of crisp flavor. It was emptied pretty quickly with our appetizers.

1997 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru. Here one encounters rounded aromas of hazelnuts, butterscotch, verbena tea, minerals and yellow tropical fruits. In the mouth, it features an oily glycerin texture that carries full and generous flavors of lemon ball, Brazil nut, butterscotch, caramel and stone. It has good length and easy flow supported by quiet acidity. It’s a fun pairing with the roasted squash and apple soup.

2006 Doña Paula Malbec Selección de Bodega Mendoza. This wine has an exotic and sexy personality on the nose—highlighted by aromas of cedar, eucalyptus, cassis, red currants, Asian spices and incense. It’s plush and dense but in no way over the top on the palate, showing good lift to what are otherwise rich and creamy flavors of dark cherries, black currants and dark earth. It has impressive purity, solid structure and was drinking very well with our wood-grilled goat loin.

2008 Inniskillin Vidal Icewine Niagara Peninsula. With dessert, we tackled this 375 ml bottle, which shows off fun aromas of lychees, orange blossoms, honeysuckle, apricots and toasty spices. In the mouth, it has very impressive energy and lift to carry along the rich and thick apricot paste, peach juice, pineapple and exotic spice flavors. It tingles on the long and luscious finish, leaving me wanting another glass.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: Dinner wines

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Those Louis Latour whites get overlooked due to the underperforming reds.

As for the Champagne, dinner parties require a magnum.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Too true!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am

The Latour whites are an excellent value. We have been buying both the Chassagne and the Puligny from WTSO at excellent prices when we see it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 am

If you ever get to the Inniskillen winery, they also have some decent QPR table wines - Gamay and Cab Franc for about $15.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.