The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Winter wines (Burg, Barolo, Alsace, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Winter wines (Burg, Barolo, Alsace, etc)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Thursday as the storm rolled in Betsy made curried shrimp and noodles from a Ming Tsai recipe, he suggested Alsatian Gewurztraminer in recipe, so I opened the 2001 Trimbach “Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre” . Dry, a petrol note that reminds of Riesling, but classic litchi and spiced peach notes. Really lovely, and in a good place. Better than I expected/remembered. A-

Jonathan and Donna invited us and another couple to a winter dinner on a snow-covered frigid Friday. They made a slow-cooked pork roast, potatoes, squash, and peas; Betsy made an Asian styled salad and Lenore brought home baked bread.

2011 Burgans Albarino
Seems very soft and a touch offdry, I’ve liked more in past, though it might be that this was served a bit too warm. B-/C+

2011 Foillard “Cote de Py” Morgon
Lovely showing, think I made a bunch of Beaujolais converts, full and rich without being big. Red fruit, spice, smoke, nice length. A-

Saturday we had some friends over for dinner, along with a standard poodle to keep Lucy company. We opened with the NV Ayala “Majeur” Brut Champagne. Crisp, lemony, minerally, not super-complex but a nice bottle of bubbly. B/B+

Duck was the theme, and we had it in 2 courses- first a Vietnamese style duck breast salad (with leftover Trimbach Gewurz, holding well). Next up was slow cooked legs with a mustard/panko crust, with rice, long beans, and salad.

2001 Marcarini “la Serra” Barolo
I hesitated over opening an ‘01 Barolo, but the La Serra typically drinks younger than the Brunate, and with some air this showed well. Floral, black cherries, enough tannin that I’m in no hurry, but not at all hard. B+/B

2002 Jadot “Clos des Ursules” Beaune 1er
A bit tight, still some oak and primary fruit aromas, good with air but I’ll leave remaining bottle of a while longer. B/B+

2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County Pinot Noir
A bit disjointed, acids seem to stick out, fruit is sweet and candied with a little cola note in background. Disappointing. B-/C+

Sunday was the last day before the dreaded 10 no-wine days of the Sonoma diet, I made Portugese clams and pork. Opened a half bottle of 2006 Bize “Bourgeots” Savigny-les-Beaune. Full, balanced acids, red-fruited, spice, earth. Nice way to go into a break. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Winter wines (Burg, Barolo, Alsace, etc)

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Dale, thanks for the great notes, as always. I agree with the A- for the 01 Trimbach Gewurz Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre. I posted a note on it fairly recently and agree that it's drinking very well just now.

Best,
Michael
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't know why I pulled a 2001 Marcarini Brunate for drinking sometime soon. Knowing the producer and the vintage, I should have known better. I think I will return it to hibernation. Thanks for the reminder.

I opened a 2002 Jadot Clos des Ursules about 3 months ago and we enjoyed it. Yes, I was surprised by the primary fruit aspect, but there were other nuances, and gorgeous aromatics trumped the palate. Overall, it was very nice.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

My 2002 Jadot Ursules is buried so deep I doubt I could find it with a crane and a team of longshoremen.

The 2001 is drinking fabulously well though.
Decisions are made by those who show up