Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Arroz congris

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Arroz congris

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Arroz congris

What, you thought I said "Arrest Congress"? No, as irritable as the ways of government gridlock may make us, we won't go there today. Arros Congris is something much more enjoyable, a delicious Cuban-style dish, hearty and protein-rich, based primarily on tender, meaty black beans and fluffy rice.

I had a big bag of reconstituted Rancho Gordo black beans on hand, and there's always plenty of rice in the pantry - long-grain, basmati and various risotto varieties - do it didn't take long to steam up 1/2 cup of long-grain rice and warm 3/4 cup of cooked black beans in about a half-cup of their dark, rich "potlikker."

From there the dish for two is quick and easy: While the rice steams, warm olive oil in a big, wok-like pan, and brown about 1/2 cup each onions, green bell peppers and celery with plenty of chopped garlic and a bit of salt, black and red pepper. When the veggies are soft and the onions starting to brown, reduce heat to low and stir in 3.4 cup of diced tomatoes and their juice (I used canned), then the beans and part of the potlikker, reserving some of the liquid for later use. Check seasoning and add a dash or two of Caribbean-style habanero sauce to taste and 1/2 cub chopped scallions, and hold at a simmer over very low heat. When the rice is finished, stir it in to the bean mix, adding just enough additional potlikker (and water if needed) to make the result a soft, pilaf-like mass. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Arroz congris

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I buy all my beans from Rancho Gordo, and when they are out of the ones I want, I go to Purcell. You are trying to make vegetarians out of us Robin....and you may succeed!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 am

Karen/NoCA wrote: You are trying to make vegetarians out of us Robin....and you may succeed!

I ain't no evangelist, Karen! I just do what feels right for me. I don't mind what others choose. (That's just for the record, though. Thanks for the compliment!)
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: You are trying to make vegetarians out of us Robin....and you may succeed!

Bite your (boiled) tongue!!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Tom NJ wrote:

Bite your (boiled) tongue!!

You can only take my rib-eyes away when you pry them out of my cold, dead, "myocardially infarcted") hands! :lol:
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?