Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Got my Nespresso for Xmas. Love it.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Got my Nespresso for Xmas. Love it.

by Hoke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:34 am

Had a few Nespresso coffees with friends in France and Napa, so got interested in having one myself. So I got one for Christmas.

Have it on my desk next to my computer. Easy to use and a surprisingly nice delivery of espresso with crema. The coffee quality is decent (not the best I've had, but then I've had baristas serve up stuff that wasn't as good). Good selection. Too damned pricey, but cheaper than going to a coffee shop, and there's no Peet's handy 'round here anyhoo.

So: it's handy; it's quick; no muss no fuss; variety of coffees and styles (mostly make lungo). I like it.

Okay, purists, the hating can begin... :D
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Got my Nespresso for Xmas. Love it.

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 am

Hoke-
Can't hate yer for dat. In fact, I have no idea what a Nespresso gizmo is, but assume it is some kind of contraption to deliver caffeine. The name does give me flashbacks to the Nescafé commercials I recall from my youth.
Glad you're enjoying it.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 am

Did you get the $99 one or the $399 one, or one in between?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 am

Keeping my lips closed on this one, except to say that the world is falling apart!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 am

Redwinger wrote: flashbacks to the Nescafé commercials I recall from my youth.

"Let's have another cup of coffee, yes, let's have a cup of Nescafé"? :lol:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:36 am

Any reason you chose that brand over Keurig? Just curious, we have tossed the idea around, but I do love going to my coffee kiosk.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:56 am

I got the "U" model, Carl.

Karen, the Keurig is a single-cup coffee maker. The Nespresso is a single shot espresso maker---the water is pre-heated and forced through the pod under 19bars of pressure. You get espresso, with crema, rather than coffee.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Redwinger wrote:Hoke-
Can't hate yer for dat. In fact, I have no idea what a Nespresso gizmo is, but assume it is some kind of contraption to deliver caffeine. The name does give me flashbacks to the Nescafé commercials I recall from my youth.
Glad you're enjoying it.

Nescafe huh? <shudder> You were probably over in the corner drinking those Folger's Crystals.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Hoke wrote:I got the "U" model, Carl.

Karen, the Keurig is a single-cup coffee maker. The Nespresso is a single shot espresso maker---the water is pre-heated and forced through the pod under 19bars of pressure. You get espresso, with crema, rather than coffee.

But you do have to use a pod, right?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Jenise wrote:

Yes, you do have to use a pod. Nespresso has 20 or more pod designations, depending on fruit/intensity/roast, but also tailored for ristretto, espresso or lungo. Takes about 20-30 seconds to heat up, then drop in a pod and it takes just a few seconds for the pull.

And the pods have to be ordered, with a two day standard delivery. My understanding is that in the EU you can get the pods retail, but in the US they must be ordered.

One of the things I like about the Nespresso is, like the Apple, it's an interesting amalgamation of purpose and design. It's attractive and functional in equal measure.Very compact, fine tolerances, thoughtful, precise, and makes a decent cup of espresso withal.

The Keurig, on the other hand, makes a fairly industrial cup of coffee, is not very attractive and not designed all that well, with wasted space and unnecessary bulkiness.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Jenise wrote:

Jenise,

That's what I meant by "the world is falling apart."
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Okay, I gotta ask: What is a pod?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Redwinger wrote:Okay, I gotta ask: What is a pod?

Small metal or plastic container filled with a pre-set amount of coffee, and covered on one end with a thin cover that can be punctured so that pre-measured amount of water can flow through it (or in the case of the Nespresso, forced through it).

It is all designed so that when you drop the pod in the hoke and press the lever or lid shut, it pushes the pod a certain way allows the process to work. Then, when the process is finished, the machine drops the pod and is ready for another.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 pm

I've spent a fair amount of time looking into espresso machines and it seems that if you really want a first rate unit, you need to spend $1000+. Then you also have to buy a grinder that will cost somewhere in the $500+ range. I have neither the kitchen space nor the budget nor the lust for great espresso to take it that far. If the Nespresso machine makes a servicably good cup, then that sounds like the way to go.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:18 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I've spent a fair amount of time looking into espresso machines and it seems that if you really want a first rate unit, you need to spend $1000+. Then you also have to buy a grinder that will cost somewhere in the $500+ range. I have neither the kitchen space nor the budget nor the lust for great espresso to take it that far. If the Nespresso machine makes a servicably good cup, then that sounds like the way to go.

Mike, I have a friend who has the setup you describe (JBL), and he makes the best espressos and lattes I've ever had. So I lap them up when I'm at his place. But I can't afford the gear, so I compromise.

I hardly order regular coffee any more. I get a lungo or an Americano; love that espresso flavor kick, and the crema. With the Nespresso and some of their high intensity pods I get the crema, the espresso flavor, and the satisfaction right at my desk, for a reasonable price. That's enough for me; and I'm happy with it. When I'm out, I'll go with Barista for their fanaticism; but when I'm home this is just fine.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Way down among Brazilians
Coffee beans grow by the billions
So they've got to find those extra cups to fill
They've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil....
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Way down among Brazilians
Coffee beans grow by the billions
So they've got to find those extra cups to fill
They've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil....

I'm helping those Brazilians out as much as I can, Jeff. Also Costa Ricans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Ethiopians... :lol:

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the Java Jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup (Ah!)

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops, Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot, and I'll pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Java Jive
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Hoke wrote:Had a few Nespresso coffees with friends in France and Napa, so got interested in having one myself. So I got one for Christmas.

Have it on my desk next to my computer. Easy to use and a surprisingly nice delivery of espresso with crema. The coffee quality is decent (not the best I've had, but then I've had baristas serve up stuff that wasn't as good). Good selection. Too damned pricey, but cheaper than going to a coffee shop, and there's no Peet's handy 'round here anyhoo.
So: it's handy; it's quick; no muss no fuss; variety of coffees and styles (mostly make lungo). I like it.

Only hating here is towards the bolded text. You would REALLY go to Peet's Over-Roasted Chain over Stumptown or some of the locals? For Shame, Hoke, for Shame. :twisted: :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Brian K Miller wrote: Peet's Over-Roasted Chain

Isn't Peet's sort of like what Coor's used to be? Mysterious mystique based on limited regional availability?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Maybe, according to Wiki....Peet's Coffee & Tea is a San Francisco Bay Area based specialty coffee roaster and retailer. Founded in 1966 by Alfred Peet in Berkeley, California as Peet's Coffee, Tea & Spices, Peet's is known for its early introduction of darker roasted arabica coffee, such as French roast and grades appropriate for espresso drinks, to Bay Area and US coffee retailing, for both freshly roasted beans and in-store brewed coffee.

It is available to us in our local grocery stores...very good coffee. Folks who make it are from the Netherlands....you can read more at Wiki. Sure beats Starbucks (that is not hard to do) and some of the other big chain coffee, I have had.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Hoke wrote:Had a few Nespresso coffees with friends in France and Napa, so got interested in having one myself. So I got one for Christmas.

Only hating here is towards the bolded text. You would REALLY go to Peet's Over-Roasted Chain over Stumptown or some of the locals? For Shame, Hoke, for Shame. :twisted: :lol:

Heretic!

And Robin, for shame, enabling poor Brian in his errancy! :D

In this land of so many options for excellent coffee, this caffeinated heaven of Portlandia, there is an absolute embarrasment of entrepreneurial riches to choose from, 'tis true.

I remain unapologetic, however, in liking Peet's Coffee. Although they don't have near as many locations to choose from, and are thus not always conveniently located for me, I do stop into Peet's when I can. It is vastly, vastly, vastly preferable to Starbucks, and even more preferable than Starbucks Lite (aka SBC coffee, a Starbucks subsidiary).

I used to like Starbucks, because of their standard heavy roast style (what wimps and simps refer to as over-roasted or charred) but gave it up finally because their quality of coffee and quality of pull/pour became overwhelmed by success and the necessity to feed the corporate beast who voraciously demands lower quality and higher profits.

But Peets I still like. Since I drink only doppio espressos and an occasional latte at Peets, I'm almost always pleased with what I get. A Peets latte still looks---and more importantly---tastes like a real honest to god latte, whereas Starbucks is a watery mess of diluted coffee and some milk-like substance slopped into a paper cup and sucked unseen through a sippycup hole. Blech.

Stumptown, yes, absolutely. Even better, for me, is Barista. Those guys are fanatics that make Stumptown look like Tully's. Artists and damned proud of it.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Hmmm. setting my "preferences" button to Hoke: Ignore w/r/t all tasting notes :lol:

Just kidding, just kidding. :mrgreen:

I stop at the Green Goliath for one reason...for some reason, they have "green coffee" refreshers made with real fruit garnishes that taste a lot better than Gatorade. :lol: And cleaner bathrooms than a gas station.

Sadly, Solano County has basically evolved into a coffee desert. All the local independents were crushed by the Green Monster. Much, much prefer Sacramento's Temple Coffee mini-chain...or the "hispterier" Old Soul Coffee (who have installed indoor bicycle racks!) My longer bicycle tours are fueled by iced coffee drinks...I hate power bars and their ilk.

My favoraite coffee shops are in Oakland (BICA is awesome) and San Francisco (Sight Glass)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am

Brian, you'll be glad to know I am possibly capable of redemption.

Nespresso offers a range of several different types of their capsules, based on either intensity, aroma, roast level, or preferred type of pull (ristretto, espresso, lungo; all programmable before brewing). They even have some flavored ones---vanilla, chocolate and caramel---but the only one I've had there is vanilla, and only because it was included with the machine samples. It was...not worth it. I don't want a vanilla bean scented espresso, thank you very much. And no matter what you do or how you try to convince me, I'm not going to like it; so I don't even need to bother with the choco and caramel.

With my newly arrived order, I included what they dub their most intense espresso, Nakaar. Eh. It's drinkable, but not much more interesting than that. Mostly frontal force with almost no subtlety; too dark a roast, almost to the point of char, with no complexity to round it out or give it interest. I like other capsules better than this one.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 am

And there you have it: Nespresso is commoditized coffee, ultimately bland. Once you get past the pretty little cups and the gee whiz verbiage in the descriptions, it's still stuff that was ground weeks ago and parcelled into small lots (which increases its exposure to air).
Next