Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

One step forward, two steps back...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

One step forward, two steps back...

by Jeff B » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 pm

The step forward... I've grown to love chocolate chip cookies with nuts.

The two steps back... I'm starting to, once again, favor deep dish pizza over thin crust. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: One step forward, two steps back...

by Frank Deis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am

I am with you on the nuts. For most of my life I considered them an annoying distraction, in cookies and brownies. But when I saw black walnuts in the store for Christmas baking I bought some. And Louise has been putting them into her brownies, and that unique flavor really takes me back to my youth. Black walnuts are kind of a southern thing I think, there was a black walnut tree in the yard next door and my parents would do the hard work to get the meat out, and Mom would put them into chocolate chip cookies and brownies. Black walnuts are way different from English walnuts if you haven't had them. Hard to find here and a little expensive but worth it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: One step forward, two steps back...

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Me too with the nuts..never wanted them in cookies, muffins, salads, etc. Now I love them in all three....
I always put them in brownies however, cause a brownie, for me, is just not a brownie without them. oh, and I am adding nuts with my juice drink in the morning. Walnuts and pecans are especially good with peaches, mango, spinach drink.