Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anthony Bourdain plans Street Market in NY

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anthony Bourdain plans Street Market in NY

by Jenise » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Per Eater.com:

Parts Unknown host Anthony Bourdain is getting into the retail game and planning a massive market in New York City. The theme of the market will be international street food, and the New York Post reports that Bourdain has signed a deal to open the market with entrepreneur Stephen Werther. At this point no location, opening date, or name has been confirmed, but apparently Anthony Bourdain World Market is a possibility. If the market is a hit, it could expand to other cities.

Eater NY gets more details from Bourdain on the market. He says: "I am indeed working on this project—carefully assembling a dream list of chefs, operators, street food and hawker legends from around the world—in hopes of bringing them together in one New York City space ... As the greatest city in the world, I've long felt that we should have the kind of delicious, diverse food centers that Singapore ( for instance) enjoys."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Anthony Bourdain plans Street Market in NY

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Velly, velly innnnnnnnnteresting!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Could be really neat. I just hope the Genuine Ensenada Fish Taco doesn't cost $14.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 am

"I've long felt that we (NYC) should have the kind of delicious, diverse food centers...."

Wait - has he been to New York City? "Delicious and Diverse Foods" is actually a line in the City's by-laws. If you can't find a good place to eat within 10 minutes of wherever you are, you got off the train in Jersey. Granted there's no concentrated Jemaa El-Fna type market (unless you count something like Eatlaly, or all of Chinatown, I suppose). But of all the cities in the world, I think the above quote least applies to New York.

Which means it's going to succeed wildly, of course. Name recognition and media hype trump everything.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am

Jenise wrote:The theme of the market will be international street food...

...none of which will taste the same here, frankly, because you're not on vacation.

As the greatest city in the world...

He means, "As a place where I can easily charge high prices..."

...I've long felt that we should have the kind of delicious, diverse food centers that Singapore ( for instance) enjoys."

{ insert what Tom said here }
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:...none of which will taste the same here, frankly, because you're not on vacation.

Ain't that the truth! To misquote somebody or other, "Vacation is the best sauce". :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:The theme of the market will be international street food...

...none of which will taste the same here, frankly, because you're not on vacation.

As the greatest city in the world...

He means, "As a place where I can easily charge high prices..."

...I've long felt that we should have the kind of delicious, diverse food centers that Singapore ( for instance) enjoys."

{ insert what Tom said here }

I'm gonna dissent here. Having spent time both in NYC and S'pore, I do feel that there's a niche for the sort of hawker fare that exists throughout SE Asia. The tricks will be: a) getting the Board of Health to sign off and b) keeping prices low enough to be appealing. I'm sure that in the boroughs, food carts aren't a rarity, but last time I checked they weren't easily found on Manhattan.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:... in the boroughs, food carts aren't a rarity, but last time I checked they weren't easily found on Manhattan....

One of the most memorable amenities of Astoria, Queens, was the amazing souvlaki stands that stood outside just about every (elevated) subway station.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

I take exception to the notion that a national dish cannot be replicated outside the country of origin. I've had Chinese food in New York City that was as authentic as any found in Taiwan or Hong Kong; this according to the Chinese I was dining with and my own experience. I could give many other examples from different places.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Mark, I can already go to Smorgasburg http://www.smorgasburg.com/

I don't need candied scorpions on a stick.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Mark, I can already go to Smorgasburg http://www.smorgasburg.com/

I don't need candied scorpions on a stick.

But, Jeff, you're talking about Brooklyn, the acknowledged culinary epicenter of the US. Don't you think that there's a niche for such a place in outlying boroughs like Manhattan? :P

Mark Lipton

p.s. Whatcha got against candied scorpion on a stick anyway?