Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Best Selling Cookbooks of 2013

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Best Selling Cookbooks of 2013

by Jenise » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm

A dismaying list, since the majority are TV cooks (am really surprised by the Ree Drummond success--the majority of those must have been sold online for $3 or something), but considering that, what an impressive feat for Jerusalem.

http://eater.com/archives/2014/01/10/best-selling-cookbooks-2013.php
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: The Best Selling Cookbooks of 2013

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Giada can come and cook for me anytime!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Giada can come and cook for me anytime!

You're finally over Rachel? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:18 pm

How about Laura Calder? If you could, which one would you pick?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Jenise wrote:A dismaying list, since the majority are TV cooks (am really surprised by the Ree Drummond success--the majority of those must have been sold online for $3 or something), but considering that, what an impressive feat for Jerusalem.

http://eater.com/archives/2014/01/10/best-selling-cookbooks-2013.php

Ree Drummond's cookbooks are well done, with good photography and artwork. She appeals to the working moms, younger crowd for the easy and flavorful, down home food, that is really good. She appeals to the older crowd for just who she is. She is cooking for a busy family and a bunch of cowboys. There is no fuss there. Her history coming from the LA area, a well to do family, going back to her home state and meeting Ladd is delightful She went from a sushi eating city girl, to a rancher's wife and did it with grace. They have four adorable kids who are being taught how to work, and run a ranch. Ree has home schooled them, taught them skills that so many of today's kids will never learn. She takes them to New York, so they can learn how to be in a big city, eat in a big city and enjoy it. She is an amazing lady.....her cooking is not what makes her, it is the entire package. She married into one of the the biggest ranchers in Oklahoma and one of the wealthiest, yet she blogs about sick cows, getting them to market on time, and all the other perils ranchers face. People like reading about her life, she is quirky, down to earth, fun, real, and a blast to be around. They love her give-a-ways every week or so, obvious by the thousands who sign up for a custom painted mixer or some other gadget she gets from her sponsors. Hollywood is doing a movie about her and Ladd, and the last I heard, Reese Witherspoon is playing the part of Ree. She is enjoying the ride for now....
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

I'm just ecstatic to see that Claire Thomas has a book coming out this August! What a hottie. Who knows, I might even browse some of the recipes... :)

The book is titled, "The Kitchy Kitchen : New Classics For Living Deliciously.

In addition to appearing on ABC's "Food For Thought", she also has a blog called "The Kitchy Kitchen".

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:05 am

Miss Kay's Duck Commander Kitchen??
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:17 am

Jenise wrote:

You're finally over Rachel? :)

Good lord no but variety is the spice of life!
Laura Calder, new name for me :? . Oh, she is Canadian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd882_1Y ... 3D7FAB644B

Wonder if she is good at muffins?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 pm

1 - yup, most of the chefs most people have ever heard of have been from Food Network. I once commented about a recipe that I doubted that Escoffier would approve and I swear that they asked what program he was on!

2 - Giada? You mean 'Big Head'? Sorry but that's what she looks like to me.

3 - Rachel?? Pshaw! I'd climb over a mile of broken glass to see Laura Calder though (well, maybe a few inches of crushed eggshells, anyway). Yes, Bob, she does have nice muffins.

4 - when did cooking become all about sex? Oh yeah - when they put it on TV - but it didn't used to be that way (unless you had an unnatural attraction to Julia Child).

5 - none of those 10 best selling cook books entices me even a little bit. But then the cook book that arrived in the mail today at the office was by Andre Daguin - Foie Gras, Magret, and Other good Food from Gascony Never been on TV, but he single handedly brought Gascon cuisine to the attention of those that care.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:1 - yup, most of the chefs most people have ever heard of have been from Food Network. I once commented about a recipe that I doubted that Escoffier would approve and I swear that they asked what program he was on!

2 - Giada? You mean 'Big Head'? Sorry but that's what she looks like to me.

3 - Rachel?? Pshaw! I'd climb over a mile of broken glass to see Laura Calder though (well, maybe a few inches of crushed eggshells, anyway). Yes, Bob, she does have nice muffins.

4 - when did cooking become all about sex? Oh yeah - when they put it on TV - but it didn't used to be that way (unless you had an unnatural attraction to Julia Child).

5 - none of those 10 best selling cook books entices me even a little bit. But then the cook book that arrived in the mail today at the office was by Andre Daguin - Foie Gras, Magret, and Other good Food from Gascony Never been on TV, but he single handedly brought Gascon cuisine to the attention of those that care.

When did cooking become all about sex? See item 3. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Naw, that is just admiration for a fellow Canadian regardless of sex (and a desire to get rid of eggshells). :mrgreen: