The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Verget Bourgogne Blanc Terroirs de Cote d'Or

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2011 Verget Bourgogne Blanc Terroirs de Cote d'Or

by JC (NC) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 am

12.5% abv. Robin Garr reviewed the 2005 vintage of this and said half of the blend is aged in used oak barrels and half in stainless steel. That answers one question for me because it didn't exhibit obvious oak. The grapes are from parcels in the villages of Puligny and Meursault. I paired this with a casserole of chicken thighs cooked and shredded, broccoli and herb dressing as the main ingredients on the first evening. The second evening I had it with Quiche Lorraine. Perhaps a Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc or an Austrian Gruner Veltliner would have been a better pairing for the chicken and broccoli dish. The quiche pairing, OTOH, was a booming success. The Chardonnay danced nicely with the eggy custard of the quiche and was in step with the bacon and onion quiche ingredients.
Pale in color and transparent, the wine greets the nose with lemon and white floral notes (lemon blossom?) The nose and palate also exhibit apple notes. The second evening it seemed more appley and less lemony. This is an inviting sipping wine and food-friendly lunch or dinner wine. Drinking well now. 88-90 points