The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am

2012 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (1/12/2014)
I followed this wine over the course of three hours, and it showed me something different almost every time I went back to it. First there was floral and tropical aromas and flavors. Later it picked up a more peachy element. Finally it had a distinct note of orange zest over a pure, rocky minerality that was about as electrifying as Riesling can be. Another magic Hermannshohle wine from Donnhoff.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

by John S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:43 am

Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 am

John, you been lurking on Beserkers agin!!!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:47 am

John S wrote:Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:

Ah yes. I know I bring up that unfortunate meme on my own.

It has recently been resurrected on Disorder (with some limited aciton on Berserkers), with the usual suspects chiming in. That said the conversation is taking on some different aspects this time, pointing more towards taste in older Riesling than any inherent un-ageability of Donnhoff's wines. I will never seriously argue with people who say they enjoy the wines young so much that they don't see the point in aging them. That's a totally different discussion than saying the wines do not age well. They do, but they become something different. I happen to love what Donnhoff's wines become with age.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am

David M. Bueker wrote:...about as electrifying as Riesling can be...

All this talk of electricity is making me think I should revisit Donnhoff. I always enjoyed the wines but when it comes down to my limited purchases I usually look elsewhere because the 'electrifying' quotient is often higher in the Moser/Saar/Ruwer. And that is something I prize in the off-dry riesling. But, this reminds me that such pleasures can be found elsewhere!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:58 am

Rahsaan,

Grab a bottle of the 2012 Estate Riesling. It gives fantastic insight on the vintage at Donnhoff.

It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
John S wrote:Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:

Ah yes. I know I bring up that unfortunate meme on my own.

It has recently been resurrected on Disorder (with some limited aciton on Berserkers), with the usual suspects chiming in. That said the conversation is taking on some different aspects this time, pointing more towards taste in older Riesling than any inherent un-ageability of Donnhoff's wines. I will never seriously argue with people who say they enjoy the wines young so much that they don't see the point in aging them. That's a totally different discussion than saying the wines do not age well. They do, but they become something different. I happen to love what Donnhoff's wines become with age.

I have yet to understand why Dönnhoff is singled out for this criticism, as there is a general issue with people's appreciation for aged Riesling. Perhaps Dönnhoff's wines age differently from M-S-R Rieslings? I dunno, but the general brouhaha has always perplexed me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.

Yeah, price is the other issue. I'm willing to spend that much (50/60 USD) on German riesling, but usually only on my favorite stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.

Yeah, price is the other issue. I'm willing to spend that much (50/60 USD) on German riesling, but usually only on my favorite stuff.

Pretty much the same thing I say when people ask why I don't routinely buy Egon Muller's wines.