The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Graham's 20 Year Tawny Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Graham's 20 Year Tawny Port

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Drier than my go to Taylor Fladgate 20 year old. More nuttiness. Very smooth, with a lingering, spicy finish. Very, very drinkable. A pleasing sip while watching Marshawn Lynch run roughshod over the Saints.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Graham's 20 Year Tawny Port

by JC (NC) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:40 am

Glad to see the note as I like Tawnies and prefer the drier ones. Cockburn is my go-to 20 year Tawny but I like to try others occasionally.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:04 am

Go Grahams! Go Seahawks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:39 am

Jenise wrote:Go Grahams! Go Seahawks!

Indeed!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Should be a great game v. 49ers!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Go 49ers! I had divided loyalties yesterday as I came to North Carolina a 49ers fan having spent six years in Monterey County. Now I root for the Carolina Panthers and feel torn when they play San Francisico. Since the Panthers have been eliminated, I'm all for SF although Seattle is a formidable team that may take it all this year and Russell Wilson has a NC tie since he quarterbacked at NC State.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am

I love old tawnies, though my throughout my history, Tawny Port, and for that matter Port in general, has been a mere blip on my radar, due to kosher constraints. Still remember the Nieports and Fonsecas of my youth, and how it would be apropos as an aperitif, a dessert, or just a perfect afternoon sipper. Invariably, these old Ports were far cheaper than the vintage and colheita Ports of the time, and presented the drinker with far better values. However, it is as if nobody ever heard of them, as they ran for the fresh red stuff that wouldn't be a point for years. To this day, I hear far less of Tawnies than they deserve, I think.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:32 am

I am hoping to see a repeat of Superbowl XXIV, 49ers beating Broncos 55-10! (Not gonna happen, though...)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 am

I'll take any SB matchup as long as the Broncos do not win it.

Craig - I am with you that Tawny Port does not get the recognition it deserves. I actually drink a fair bit of it, mostly Taylor-Fladgate 20.

I am doing a little bit of exploration, trying different producer's 20 Year Tawny Ports, just to see what else is out there. Sandeman is up next.

My vintage Port colleciton is mostly quite young, but there are some 1970, 77, 83 and '85 bottles that might be getting into their prime. The 1985 Fonseca has been a delicious drink for years, even if it wasn't "at peak."
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 pm

My favorite 20 year tawny is by Ferriera. A wine that Roy H. made me aware of years ago. It's on the expensive side but is mighty tasty.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm

I am going after that one soon Lou. I will have to order it. It's not available locally.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:11 pm

As with David, I have a go-to 20 Year Tawny--from Cockburn--but I like to try others. I recently enjoyed a Sandeman and have another bottle of that one on hand. I also have a Taylor Fladgate on hand. Will purchase Graham and possibly Ferreira and Niepoort to try. I also have a Geyser Peak Old Tawny but it may be on the decline since I read recently that Tawnies are not meant for aging once they are bottled and I have had the Geyser Peak for several years. I had thought that they could last a long time in bottle but apparently that is not the case.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:59 pm

As a general rule I try to drink Tawny Ports within a year or two of purchase. Seems that was a suggestion made to me by someone in a position of authority... Roy Hersh perhaps?

I love Port, but have abandoned it recently due to the "Jekel and Hyde" effect it began having on me. Seems that I have morphed into an angry Port drinker as I have aged. I don't even like myself when I drink the stuff. Normally I am quite jovial.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Sam Platt wrote:As a general rule I try to drink Tawny Ports within a year or two of purchase. Seems that was a suggestion made to me by someone in a position of authority... Roy Hersh perhaps?

I love Port, but have abandoned it recently due to the "Jekel and Hyde" effect it began having on me. Seems that I have morphed into an angry Port drinker as I have aged. I don't even like myself when I drink the stuff. Normally I am quite jovial.

Jeez Sam, I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis of your problem but somehow I doubt it has anything to do with port itself. "Your parents threw empty vintage port bottles at you when you were a child?"
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Sounds more like the percentage of alcohol in fortified drinks. Try drinking three ounces at a time, not a full bottle, Sam. It should have a mellowing effect, not the opposite.