Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone here use a perforated french bread pan??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Anyone here use a perforated french bread pan??

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

What's the secret? We made two different recipes, both tried and true. In both cases the top of the loaves came out as desired, but the bottoms were under baked....almost soggy like in appearance. Tried with and without a preheated stone to no avail.
Where's the uniform crusty crust?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Anyone here use a perforated french bread pan??

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Are you baking it with a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf of the oven? If so, perhaps the steam is getting through the perforations. I don't use a perforated bread pan, but I do use a perforated pizza pan and get a nice, crispy crust.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Anyone here use a perforated french bread pan??

by Fred Sipe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I have used a double loaf, perforated baguette pan. I thought the idea was to have the heat from the oven circulate to, and reach the loaf, through the perforations. I never had a problem but I didn't use a pan of water under. I used a spray bottle a couple of times though early on in the baking.

Wouldn't a stone under the pan defeat the purpose of air circulation? I would use a hot stone with bread directly on top to brown the bottom.

But admittedly, the scope of my bread baking is very limited.

Edited to add that I used the baguette recipe I found here. A very sparse one with precise ingredients. I used my postal scale. Great recipe, don't remember offhand who posted it.