Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of star tubes...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Speaking of star tubes...

by ChefCarey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:59 pm

Anybody got any good ideas on how to get the one out of my garbage disposal, the one which has it jammed?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Speaking of star tubes...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:05 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Anybody got any good ideas on how to get the one out of my garbage disposal, the one which has it jammed?

1. Turn off the electricity or unplug the unit.
2. Go under sink with tool kit.
3. Remove garbage disposal unit.
4. Remove whatever is stuck.
5. Put things back together again.
6. Turn electric electricity back on or plug unit back in again.

Barring that, you'll either have to call a plumber or start recycling the kitchen waste.

P.S. You may have to hit the "reset button" if it jammed and stopped working.
And now what?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:57 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:Anybody got any good ideas on how to get the one out of my garbage disposal, the one which has it jammed?

1. Turn off the electricity or unplug the unit.
2. Go under sink with tool kit.
3. Remove garbage disposal unit.
4. Remove whatever is stuck.
5. Put things back together again.
6. Turn electric electricity back on or plug unit back in again.

Barring that, you'll either have to call a plumber or start recycling the kitchen waste.

P.S. You may have to hit the "reset button" if it jammed and stopped working.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew all that stuff! I was looking for a magic answer! :D
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:16 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew all that stuff! I was looking for a magic answer! :D

Go here: Magic Eight Ball
And now what?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I need to play the lottery tomorrow. The magic eight ball says I will definitely win! I assume Gary will guarantee the magic eight ball? Will I be able to sue Robin for restitution?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:06 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I need to play the lottery tomorrow. The magic eight ball says I will definitely win! I assume Gary will guarantee the magic eight ball? Will I be able to sue Robin for restitution?

James, one can not get blood from a turnip!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:32 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:James, one can not get blood from a turnip!

Are you saying Robin is a turnip? Or that he just has the brains of a turnip? :P
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:05 pm

I am saying that you can not get blood...nothing more,or nothing less. You also can't get blood from a stone, JIC you didn't already know that. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:24 pm

Don't be a wuss. Stick your hand down there and grab it. If it doesn't come out right away then just use your fingers to wiggle the blade back and forth until the object comes loose. I find that if you really get your fingers waaaaayyyyy down between the blades then it is easier to dislodge whatever is stuck. You can also use a good kitchen knife to kind of 'pry' the blade to one side and then use your other hand to grab the jammed object. Good luck. 8)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Robert J. you're a bassist.... I certainly hope you don't take your own advice! Or you only use the fingers you don't need anymore. :roll:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 am

Robert J. wrote:Don't be a wuss. Stick your hand down there and grab it. If it doesn't come out right away then just use your fingers to wiggle the blade back and forth until the object comes loose. I find that if you really get your fingers waaaaayyyyy down between the blades then it is easier to dislodge whatever is stuck. You can also use a good kitchen knife to kind of 'pry' the blade to one side and then use your other hand to grab the jammed object. Good luck. 8)

That's how I've always done it as well (assuming I was pretty certain there was no broken glass down in there). Generally works pretty well although it's high in the yuck factor.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:37 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Robert J. you're a bassist.... I certainly hope you don't take your own advice! Or you only use the fingers you don't need anymore. :roll:

No danger, if you make sure that you cut off the electrical power first.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:47 am

Robert J. wrote:

Don't be a wuss. Stick your hand down there and grab it. If it doesn't come out right away then just use your fingers to wiggle the blade back and forth until the object comes loose. I find that if you really get your fingers waaaaayyyyy down between the blades then it is easier to dislodge whatever is stuck. You can also use a good kitchen knife to kind of 'pry' the blade to one side and then use your other hand to grab the jammed object. Good luck. 8)

I can assure you that this does not work when one's kid throws a penny down there. MAJOR disassembly time.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Robert J. wrote:

I can assure you that this does not work when one's kid throws a penny down there. MAJOR disassembly time.

The best part is making sure all those PVC connectors don't leak after you've reinstalled the unit. I had a leaky one one day before my last abode's buyer's home inspector came in. I earned my wings in creative cosmetology that day.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:45 am

Do what we did when we moved in here. Tear the blankity blankity thing out and thow it away. Use a lined garbage basket, and throw the contents on the compost pile once a week.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Robert J. you're a bassist.... I certainly hope you don't take your own advice! Or you only use the fingers you don't need anymore. :roll:

You don't really think that I use this technique, do you? I was joking. I wouldn't stick my fingers in jello if I thought that it would hurt them.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Robert J. wrote:

You don't really think that I use this technique, do you? I was joking. I wouldn't stick my fingers in jello if I thought that it would hurt them.

Stranger things have happened. I once broke my left wrist and the residual damage made playing the guitar very difficult. I tried to play anyway. Didn't want to be a wuss. But it became nigh impossible when on the ring finger of my left hand I severed whatever keeps the knuckle from being double-jointed. It hurts like all heck, although flexing it in both directions is a great way to scare little kids. Still in all, it makes plucking the old magic twanger a very painful event and has been so for the last 20 years. Know how I did it? I was practicing the recorder, went for B flat, and, snarch, the knuckle gave up its ghost. Chipping my tooth on the Jew's harp was nothing in comparison.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:31 pm

I broke the tip of my left index finger playing basketball one day. Three days later I had to play Mozart's 'Requiem'. THAT was painful. I then had the finger in a cast for three weeks. Then I played Haydn's 'Creation'. I don't play basketball competitively anymore.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:53 pm

I have nerve damage in my hands which is why I stopped playing music professionally. And, oddly enough, I also don't play basketball competitively any more! :lol: