The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When did Spanish wines become "modern"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

When did Spanish wines become "modern"?

by James Roscoe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:46 pm

Here's a question for all the Spanish wine experts. I have had a few older Spanish wines from the early 1990's and some from the later 1990's. I'm not a big fan of the newer wines. I read a lot about the modernization of Spanish wines. When did this take place? What is the problem? Why did they do it? (Am I asking too many questions?) Too many of the Spanish wines I've tasted recently taste like they could be from California. What's the deal? I await enlightenment.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: When did Spanish wines become "modern"?

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:50 pm

James Roscoe wrote:What is the problem? Why did they do it?

Sun. Money.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:05 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Here's a question for all the Spanish wine experts. I have had a few older Spanish wines from the early 1990's and some from the later 1990's. I'm not a big fan of the newer wines. I read a lot about the modernization of Spanish wines. When did this take place? What is the problem? Why did they do it? (Am I asking too many questions?) Too many of the Spanish wines I've tasted recently taste like they could be from California. What's the deal? I await enlightenment.

I guess you could say it started with Contino in the late 70's, by those standards the wines would be "modern" due to some forward thinking. Of course, modern then was simply choosing to make a Reserva in lieu of a Gran Reserva (rather than in addition to) and being a little more plush. Now, modern is defined by 100% new small French barriques, late harvests, 100% Tempranillo or Tempranillo and Cab*, later Harvests, and "other" less forthcoming methods.

The change really started to take place in 1991 and went from there. I can't think of any Rioja or RdD producer prior to 1991 who was modern-modern. I think 1994 will be remembered as the "coming out" vintage for modern wines. That was the first great vintage for wineries to unveil their expensive heavy-glass bottles and get a lot of attention from Parker, Spec and the like.

Best,
Joe

*instead of a blend with Graciano, Mazuelo, Garnacha or even Viura/Garnacha Blanca
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Thank you

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:04 am

I am much more enlightened. I love being able to ask a question and get answers. Will any Spanish producers realize the error of their ways and go back to the kind of product that makes Spanish wine Spanish and not Californian?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Just keep buying R Lopez de Heredia and La Rioja Alta. :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks Joe, I'll look for them. Do you know who imports them into the US and if they get to DC? I assume they would. McArthurs or Calvert will probably carry them.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:49 pm

Polaner Selections, Mount Kisco NY

and

Europvin U.S.A Oakland California

McArthurs should carry at least La Rioja Alta
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Joe,
Thanks for the info. Stay cool.
Cheers!
James