Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Smashed potatoes and Korean roasted brussels sprouts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Good eats tonight: I had been sitting on a recipe for herbed "smashed potatoes" that I found online (for the original, click http://veggiefoodlover.wordpress.com/20 ... -potatoes/), and finally got around to picking up some small white creamer potatoes today to use in it.

It's just as simple as can be: Simmer the potatoes in salted water until they are fork-tender. Then put them on a greased baking pan, smash them gently by pushing down with a potato masher until the skins break and they flatten a bit, then turn the masher 90 degrees and do it again. Salt, pepper and some herbs (I substituted sage from our garden for the suggested rosemary), and bake at 450F for 20 minutes or so. They were great, although I'm thinking a little more time might have made the outsides a little more deliciously crunchy.

I put them together with some Korean roasted brussels sprouts, a dish that has become a regular player in the rotation around here. Fine dinner!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Smashed potatoes and Korean roasted brussels sprouts

by Frank Deis » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Interesting -- I just made a batch but with baby red potatoes, to accompany a classic Coq au Vin. Really liked the result.

http://www.oprah.com/food/Smashed-Potat ... rbs-Recipe
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 am

I'm a big fan of potatoes done like this as well as roasted brussels sprouts. Did you post the recipe for the Korean version previously?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

Doug Surplus wrote:I'm a big fan of potatoes done like this as well as roasted brussels sprouts. Did you post the recipe for the Korean version previously?

Doug, I'm pretty sure I did, but to make things easy, here's a link to it on a blog post:
http://www.eatfeedlovelive.com/2013/11/ ... ssels.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Smashed potatoes have been popular on FLDG for a long time; in fact, we've named them Splats. Small Yukon golds work particularly well because they get so crispy in the pan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Jenise wrote: Yukon golds

Not in our house. Mary has the same aversion to Yukon Golds as she does to most modern corn hybrids: She wants sweet stuff on her dessert plate, and she doesn't want sweet things that aren't supposed to be sweet. :lol: