The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus January 2014: Chateauneuf du Pape & GSM Blends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Wine Focus January 2014: Chateauneuf du Pape & GSM Blends

by Tom Troiano » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:One of my favorite CdPs is Clos du Mont-Olivet.

I was fond of Chante Cigale, which Brookline Liquor Mart in Boston used to bring in, but they don't carry it anymore. Does anyone know where one can obain Chante Cigale CdP in New England?

-Paul W.

Paul,

As you know BLM is quite different since Classic broke apart and some pieces sold to Martignetti's.

Andover Liquors and Berman's in Lexington sometimes have Chante Cigale. Not sure if Arborway brings it in.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks, Tom.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Had the 2001 Pegau yesterday, and it was totally outstanding! It eclipsed the 2000 which was no slouch. More complexity in the 2001, more herbs and earth. If you've got any, try one!

Thanks, David. I've been sitting on my '01s in general as their structure suggests to me a long life (and I've got a lot of back vintages to drink up!). Good to know that they're already tasting good, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:22 am

The 2000 Dom. du Pegau was opened tonight to accompany a pseudo-cassoulet. It had a classic CdP profile of meaty black cherry, but in comparison to the '98 I recently opened it was not as rich or as acidic. Still, it had a silky mouthfeel and seemed perfectly mature.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:07 am

Turns out it was a Pegau focus this month. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Borrowed from my own thread re a recent visit to Vino Volo, this wine's on topic:

2011 Maison Bleue 'Jaja', Yakima Valley, Washington
At Vino Volo, flight "Washington Wonders". Best in flight. Peppery nose with violets and orange peel. On the palate, raspberry and plum fruit, minerals, and just a bit of garrique that will probably become more prominent with time. Not sweet at all, but very French and feminine in attitude with racy acidity and silky tannins. A fascinator, and as another reviewer said, rather Morgon-like (yes, I meant that--Morgon, not CdP.) I had no idea Yakima could produce such a restrained wine, and it might not again--such was the strangeness of the 2011 vintage. I liked it so much that, in spite of the fact that I know Vino Volo's prices are insanely inflated retail, I took a bottle home with me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Had the 2001 Pegau yesterday, and it was totally outstanding! It eclipsed the 2000 which was no slouch. More complexity in the 2001, more herbs and earth. If you've got any, try one!

Your note reminded me that I hadn't opened a 2001 for too long so I pulled one last night. The aromas and first sip had me thinking 'this was an outstanding bottle'. A half hour later it had changed to something much more evolved than most 2001's (and not really in the best way). It almost seemed like it was on the way down. I finished it tonight and it was better than I expected but still not up to where it should be for my taste. I own and drink quite a lot of Pegau and find there is more bottle variation then most others. My experience with 1998 remains the "best for current drinking".
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Took a 2007 Chateau St. Jean VV to a dinner party last night. The host was serving roast pork with a rhubarb gravy, and it struck me as a good accompaniament as well as a wine that would be at the halfway point between my Europhile palate and the host's preference for sweeter "one big flavor" (his term for it) new world wines. Bingo! Not quite two years ago, this wine fooled a pretty good palate into thinking I was pouring him a California pinot noir--sweet, modern, friendly, spicy and all red fruit. Now it's more intense and all about rich, ripe black fruit like blackcurrant, black raspberry and black nicoise olives vs. anything red--still polished-modern and with Californicated levels of ripeness, but tolerably so. IOW, not what I love best, but very good at being what it is and very popular at the table.

By way of interesting contrast, later the host opened a 2009 Torbreck 'The Steading'. Oz wines are his true 'sweet spot'. I feared goop, but I have to say this Torbreck was a winner. Popped and poured. Spicey, mostly black fruit, with licorice and just a touch of asphalt. Good depth with ample acidity and silky tannins and, most importantly, none of the jam or saturated flavors I so often find in Barossa wines. In fact, none of the classic Aussie markers at all. Made me wonder if 09 was a cooler vintage down under or if I just have had the wrong Torbrecks in the past. Had I a choice of a second glass of either of these two wines, no contest--I'd go with the Torbreck.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

And one more while we have the focus on CdP. I opened a 2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan this evening to drink with chicken parmesan and found it every bit as good as previous bottles. All the aromas and flavors that S Rhone lovers go for and all in balance. This is an elegant glass of wine that approaches perfection for me.
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:07 pm

2004 Domaine Pierre Andre Chateauneuf-du-Pape This one started off a little lean, both aromatically and on the palate, but improved a bit over the course of a couple of hours. Very far away from a modern-style, rich CdP. Enjoyable in an elegant way, but not sure I'd seek it out.

2005 ESJ Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah (not a CdP or a blend, but in the neighborhood) This wine seems to be coming into its own. Richly flavored and elegant. Never reached the heights for me, but a solidly enjoyable wine. In a year or two I'll try the 2005 Bassetti.

Both wines were decanted about two hours before dinner. Neither wine revealed even a hint of oak treatment.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Steve Kirsch wrote:2005 ESJ Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah..This wine seems to be coming into its own..

What exactly do you mean?

I thought this wine was always delicious, from the beginning.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 am

2009 ROGER SABON CHATEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE CUVEE PRESTIGE. 14.5% abv. I had three bottles of this so decided to sacrifice one to check in on it. Deep purple color; opaque. The nose suggests purple and black fruit and espresso. It tastes very young and more tannic than I favor and conveys more dark fruit and espresso notes. I think it has good material for mid-term aging at least if not longer. I will wait five more years before opening a second bottle. I drank this on two evenings with broiled lamb chops and baked potato and one evening with broccoli in cheese sauce as a green vegetable. Last night I wanted to have baked beans as my starchy vegetable because that seems such a comforting dish on a cold snowy night (we had about three inches of snowfall) but must have left the beans in the car and didn't want to go back outside for them while it was sleeting and snowing. Will probably have the baked beans tonight instead. It should be warm enough tomorrow to start melting the snow by afternoon and will be around 60 F. this weekend.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Steve Kirsch wrote:2005 ESJ Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah..This wine seems to be coming into its own..

What exactly do you mean?

I thought this wine was always delicious, from the beginning.

I've had only one other bottle, a few years ago. My memory, not notes, was of a tighter wine. In any event, this tastes like a middle-age Steve Edmunds syrah. (The wine, not Steve!)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah, there was a slight tightening period, but I have never had anything but strong feelings for this wine.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:And to start...
2000 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reserve
Exactly what I was expecting from this wine: kirsch, herbs, earth, saddle leather and a velvety structure. Lovely winter fare.

Served this with cassoulet about a week ago, went well and pretty much as you described.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 am

Just bought 1/2 case of the 2011 Clos Mont Olivet CdP. I look forward to opening it 10+ years from now.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 am

I will schedule a CNdP Wine Focus for 2024.
Decisions are made by those who show up
Previous