Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cocktail Advice Needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Next weekend I'm hosting Supper Club. Theme? Pie. Yeah, just pie. Anything in a crust.

I'll need to serve some kind of cocktail. Any ideas for me that might have a name that would be in the spirit of things?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

298

Joined

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 am

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Brandy Crusta(er)?
User avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

7159

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 am

Hmm. When I think pie, I think apples. That brings up the wide range of cocktails that use applejack or Calvados. Checking the Kindred Cocktailsdatabase, I found the "Forbidden Apple". The recipe is as follows:

1 oz Calvados
1⁄2 oz Grand Marnier
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
4 oz Champagne
Orange peel twist (as garnish)

Shake the first three ingredients together, strain into a flute, top with the champagne and the twist.

I've not tried this but it sounds like it could be pretty good. The only issue is the somewhat tenuous connection to pie!

There is another one they list called the "Sweetie Pie". It's 2 oz. Rhum Agricole, 1 3/4 oz. apple cider, 1/4 oz. Allspice Dram, and a pinch of salt all shaken together and served up in a cocktail glass with a slice of apple as a garnish. Doesn't sound as interesting to me, but the name includes pie.

Of the others that they listed with "pie" in the name, one required watermelon juice and rhubarb infused vodka (which just doesn't sound right) and the other involved some sort of apple pie-flavored whiskey (which sounds utterly wrong).

I'll be interested to hear what others come up with on this - it's an interesting question!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
User avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Posts

10641

Joined

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Location

Portland, OR

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Hoke » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 am

Hot Apple Pie Cocktail
2 oz Tuaca
hot apple cider
Whipped cream
Cinnamon stick for garnish
Preparation:

Pour the Tuaca in an Irish coffee glass.
Fill with hot apple cider.
Top with whipped cream.
Garnish with a cinnamon stick.

Rum Chata Pumpkin Pie Cocktail
2 parts RumChata Cream Liqueur
1 part vanilla vodka
1 part pumpkin liqueur*
Grated cinnamon for garnish
*Can use 3 tablespoons of pumpkin pie filling.
Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top for a garnish.

Key Lime Pie Martini (although if you check around there's lots of better Key lime cocktails out there)
2 oz vanilla vodka
1/2 oz triple sec
2 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz lime cordial
1/2 lime
crushed graham crackers for rimming

Cherry Pie Cocktail
Made With
Drink Type

OR
View all recipes
Cherry Pie
Apr 24, 2012by In The Mix MagazinePrint This Post Print This Post
Issue: Spring 2012 Drink Type: rum cocktail Categories: Mixologist Recipes
cherry pie cocktail recipeIngredients
1/3 cup graham crackers, crushed
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1 cup cherry juice
1/4 cup grenadine
4 shots white rum
1 cup club soda
1 lime, juiced
Lime slices, for garnish
Maraschino cherries, for garnish
Directions
In a bowl, mix together graham crackers and sugar. Moisten the rims of the glasses and coat with sugar mixture.
In a large pitcher, add superfine sugar, cherry juice, grenadine, rum, club soda and lime juice. Stir.
Pour over ice in the rimmed glasses with and garnish with lime and cherries.
Yield: 4 servings
- See more at: http://inthemix.on-premise.com/2012/04/ ... 4FrmR.dpuf

Are you queasy yet? Notice I don't necessarily recommend any of these drinks.

I like Mike's idea of Calvados Apple Brandy. How about....um, take a Vieux Carre, and sub in Calvados for the cognac. That should make a pretty damned good drink.
Vieux Carre
3/4 oz rye whiskey
3/4 oz Cognac
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
Dash Peychaud's bitters
Dash Angostura aromatic bitters
1/2 tsp Benedictine liqueur
Cherry for garnish
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I probably should have mentioned at the outset that anything with vodka (hate it, won't drink it) would be out, as well as anything that would produce a creamy looking drink. The Cherry Pie sounds like a punch, though it's a good name. I like the sound of the last drink as well as Mike's, especially with the champagne base. Okay, I'll play with those.

Will have to look into what Barb's idea would be, too--I'm not familiar. I'm suddenly reminded that there's such a thing in this world as a crusted port, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Posts

10641

Joined

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Location

Portland, OR

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Hoke » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 pm

"Crusta" is simply an old-fashioned name for a once-popular drink that is, essentially, a delicious fruit/liquor punch. Not be to confused with crusted port.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Hoke wrote:"Crusta" is simply an old-fashioned name for a once-popular drink that is, essentially, a delicious fruit/liquor punch. Not be to confused with crusted port.


Didn't presume there was a connection--it's just that it would be cute to procure the latter for a dessert drink.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Posts

3021

Joined

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm

When in doubt, sparkling wine domestic or imported seems to accompany many different flavors well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:When in doubt, sparkling wine domestic or imported seems to accompany many different flavors well.


Agreed; which is why I leaned toward the champagne cocktail. Would prefer the straight bubble myself, but cocktails have become the norm for this group since two members are pretty exceptional home mixologists.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1519

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Location

Phoenix metro

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 pm

While the name doesn't connote pies per se, the maple and nutmeg combined with bourbon and calvados certainly invokes pie like flavors.

Maple Sangaree

It should satisfy the mixologists in your group as well.
User avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

7159

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:While the name doesn't connote pies per se, the maple and nutmeg combined with bourbon and calvados certainly invokes pie like flavors.

Maple Sangaree

It should satisfy the mixologists in your group as well.


Sounds delicious. Might have to try that one out tonight, myself!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Hmm. When I think pie, I think apples. That brings up the wide range of cocktails that use applejack or Calvados. Checking the Kindred Cocktailsdatabase, I found the "Forbidden Apple". The recipe is as follows:

1 oz Calvados
1⁄2 oz Grand Marnier
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
4 oz Champagne
Orange peel twist (as garnish)

Shake the first three ingredients together, strain into a flute, top with the champagne and the twist.

I've not tried this but it sounds like it could be pretty good. The only issue is the somewhat tenuous connection to pie!

There is another one they list called the "Sweetie Pie". It's 2 oz. Rhum Agricole, 1 3/4 oz. apple cider, 1/4 oz. Allspice Dram, and a pinch of salt all shaken together and served up in a cocktail glass with a slice of apple as a garnish. Doesn't sound as interesting to me, but the name includes pie.

Of the others that they listed with "pie" in the name, one required watermelon juice and rhubarb infused vodka (which just doesn't sound right) and the other involved some sort of apple pie-flavored whiskey (which sounds utterly wrong).

I'll be interested to hear what others come up with on this - it's an interesting question!


Mike, I never got back here to thank you for the recipe for the champagne cocktail above, but am doing so now. I did use it for the dinner--it made perfect sense as the only thing I had to buy was the calvados, and in fact I instead purchased a 7 year old Virginia apple brandy hoping that would seem even more comfort-food like than something from a distant shore. I also had the perfect base bubbly, a 2004 Graham Beck bubbly whose age and style gave it a great brioche/pie crust kind of character. I used apple peel for the garnish instead of orange. Anyway, they were a hit, and Bob and I had a most agreeable evening two days before test driving the drink (and killing an entire bottle of champagne in the process).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1630

Joined

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Location

Salt Lake City

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Hoke,

The Hot Apple Pie is one of the only cocktails I make and drink, usually during fall and winter holidays. Your recipe looks light on booze; mine adds 1 measure spiced rum for every 2 measures tuaca.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
User avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

7159

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 am

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Hmm. When I think pie, I think apples. That brings up the wide range of cocktails that use applejack or Calvados. Checking the Kindred Cocktailsdatabase, I found the "Forbidden Apple". The recipe is as follows:

1 oz Calvados
1⁄2 oz Grand Marnier
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
4 oz Champagne
Orange peel twist (as garnish)

Shake the first three ingredients together, strain into a flute, top with the champagne and the twist.

I've not tried this but it sounds like it could be pretty good. The only issue is the somewhat tenuous connection to pie!

There is another one they list called the "Sweetie Pie". It's 2 oz. Rhum Agricole, 1 3/4 oz. apple cider, 1/4 oz. Allspice Dram, and a pinch of salt all shaken together and served up in a cocktail glass with a slice of apple as a garnish. Doesn't sound as interesting to me, but the name includes pie.

Of the others that they listed with "pie" in the name, one required watermelon juice and rhubarb infused vodka (which just doesn't sound right) and the other involved some sort of apple pie-flavored whiskey (which sounds utterly wrong).

I'll be interested to hear what others come up with on this - it's an interesting question!


Mike, I never got back here to thank you for the recipe for the champagne cocktail above, but am doing so now. I did use it for the dinner--it made perfect sense as the only thing I had to buy was the calvados, and in fact I instead purchased a 7 year old Virginia apple brandy hoping that would seem even more comfort-food like than something from a distant shore. I also had the perfect base bubbly, a 2004 Graham Beck bubbly whose age and style gave it a great brioche/pie crust kind of character. I used apple peel for the garnish instead of orange. Anyway, they were a hit, and Bob and I had a most agreeable evening two days before test driving the drink (and killing an entire bottle of champagne in the process).


Glad to hear it worked out. Sounds like you definitely did your due diligence in getting the drink just right!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26851

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cocktail Advice Needed

by Jenise » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Hmm. When I think pie, I think apples. That brings up the wide range of cocktails that use applejack or Calvados. Checking the Kindred Cocktailsdatabase, I found the "Forbidden Apple". The recipe is as follows:

1 oz Calvados
1⁄2 oz Grand Marnier
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
4 oz Champagne
Orange peel twist (as garnish)

Shake the first three ingredients together, strain into a flute, top with the champagne and the twist.

I've not tried this but it sounds like it could be pretty good. The only issue is the somewhat tenuous connection to pie!

There is another one they list called the "Sweetie Pie". It's 2 oz. Rhum Agricole, 1 3/4 oz. apple cider, 1/4 oz. Allspice Dram, and a pinch of salt all shaken together and served up in a cocktail glass with a slice of apple as a garnish. Doesn't sound as interesting to me, but the name includes pie.

Of the others that they listed with "pie" in the name, one required watermelon juice and rhubarb infused vodka (which just doesn't sound right) and the other involved some sort of apple pie-flavored whiskey (which sounds utterly wrong).

I'll be interested to hear what others come up with on this - it's an interesting question!


Mike, I never got back here to thank you for the recipe for the champagne cocktail above, but am doing so now. I did use it for the dinner--it made perfect sense as the only thing I had to buy was the calvados, and in fact I instead purchased a 7 year old Virginia apple brandy hoping that would seem even more comfort-food like than something from a distant shore. I also had the perfect base bubbly, a 2004 Graham Beck bubbly whose age and style gave it a great brioche/pie crust kind of character. I used apple peel for the garnish instead of orange. Anyway, they were a hit, and Bob and I had a most agreeable evening two days before test driving the drink (and killing an entire bottle of champagne in the process).


Glad to hear it worked out. Sounds like you definitely did your due diligence in getting the drink just right!


Yup. Burp!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign