Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

OT: Master Bath Remodel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: OT: Master Bath Remodel

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, what a fun room. Of course, one doesn't go there for fun, but one might as well be entertained. Love the floor and contrasting wall/ceiling paint--wouldn't change it!

Love it or hate it, it's all the work of Mary, Chief Designer and General Contractor. :lol: We had experts do the IKEA kitchen, with Mary's design assumptions, but this little bathroom she did on her own.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Nice job Mary!!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm with Jenise and 'Winger - I really like it. That floor is great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Love the colors Robin. Our contractor/interior designer just recently was given free reign to do over a home for some local folks who have a second home in Oregon. She used that same apple green you have, white, and a rich navy blue. It was totally awesome.

Your new bathroom is a happy room, Mary did a great job.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

The frameless shower door is a great advance as noted previously. We had ours coated on the inside to impede soap buildup....and it works! Cleaning the shower door is just a matter of wiping the glass....no cleanser needed. In fact, some cleansers will damage the coating. Highly recommended.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Winger, at your advanced age you probably already have this but since it hasn't been mentioned, I will bring it up: Taller/higher-than-standard toilets. Theory being that older knees aren't happy with the height of a standard toilet and, therefore, standing up is a lot easier when one has a head start of several inches.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

MikeH wrote:Winger, at your advanced age you probably already have this but since it hasn't been mentioned, I will bring it up: Taller/higher-than-standard toilets. Theory being that older knees aren't happy with the height of a standard toilet and, therefore, standing up is a lot easier when one has a head start of several inches.

You bet. That kiddie size commode is already in the dumpster and the high rise ordered.

This is probably a good time to mention that the work is going without a hitch...so far. While waiting for the vanity and built in cabinetry, along with the cultured granite shower surround they have been busy working on replacing the carpeted basement stair with solid oak treads and risers. They've also put new flooring in my downstairs office area.

I suspect they will put in the radiant heat and floor tile over the next few days and get some painting done.

I'm projecting wrapping up by 2/10, but that may be just a tad optimistic. I'm very impressed by the quality of the work and the mere fact they show up on-time everyday...even the subs, which is simply amazing in my experience!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 am

Oh, yes, loves my ADA-height toilet. Also, elongated bowl shape.

But, a word to the wise... buy two toilet seats now! I just had to replace ours and they no longer had the right model. (I know it doesn't seem like a big deal that the toilet seat lid doesn't have the same ogee edge as it used to... but this house is a shrine to color coordination and interior decor.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Ranger wishes to add his enthusiastic recommendation for a heated bathroom floor.

Ranger 2014-01-29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 am

Well, it has been about 5 weeks since my last update on the bath remodel. It continues, but I firmly believe the end is in sight. I had originally projected 4 weeks to completion, but 6-7 wks. appears to be more accurate. Really no big surprises, but lots of little delays. The cabinet maker was a week or so late with the vanity, storage closet and trim pieces, and the part that sorta pi$$ed me off, was when people didn't show up because there was an inch of snow on the ground. An inch of snow? What is this 4th grade?
The electricians finished up yesterday and we finally got to turn on the heated floors just to be sure they work. (Man, that programmable thermostat is completely un-user-friendly, but I finally got it figured out after exhausting my entire vocabulary of vulgarity). I do believe I'm gonna like the heated floors a lot. Probably my favorite feature so far, along with the new hardwood that was installed on the stairs going downstairs to the family room.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, what a fun room. Of course, one doesn't go there for fun, but one might as well be entertained.

Sez you, Jenise. À chacun son goût in all things. :mrgreen:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am

Just a quick final update:
The project is now finished after a 3 week delay caused by us attending to a few out of town family situations over the last month or so. Everything is great and I really, really like the radiant heated tile floor. The master suite was always the coldest room in the house due to the distance from the furnace. I expected the floor to be nice and toasty, which they are, but the floors also take the chill off the entire room. Definitely worth the cost IMO which amounted to ~$6/sq. ft which includes all material and labor. (The 3 cats also approve)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Do you have pictures? Always love to see pictures. Those kitties will no doubt make that room theirs!
Previous