Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Baked eggs on curried mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

I made this one up on the fly tonight, a quick, easy and, I think, nutritious dinner that also has the advantage of going very well with Pinot Noir.

First, I took a big bag of crimini mushrooms, popped out and discarded the stems and cut the 'shrooms into thick slices, enough to fill a small mixing bowl.

Then I sauteed them with a few smashed garlic cloves in olive oil with salt and pepper and, as the mushrooms cooked down, added small doses of "umami" and flavor ingredients, using just a little at a time and taste-testing to keep the flavors subtle: Lemon juice, soy sauce, Heinz chili sauce, cumin and medium-hot curry powder.

When they were fully cooked down and the remaining liquid was reduced to a glaze, I scooped them into a shallow casserole dish, broke three free-range eggs on top, sprinkled each egg with 1 teaspoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and put the dish in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes or until the whites were set and the yolks thickening.

Pulled it out and served it hot, with Trader Joe's Garlic Naan and a simple salad on the side and a decent, not too muscle-bound California Pinot Noir to drink. The entire dish took a half-hour at most, including butchering the 'shrooms.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Baked eggs on curried mushrooms

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 am

Wow, Robin. Your cooking lately has been sounding *so* good to me!

Is the mushroom-raft sitting on a piece of naan? Did you bake it that way?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Baked eggs on curried mushrooms

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Wow, Robin. Your cooking lately has been sounding *so* good to me!

Is the mushroom-raft sitting on a piece of naan? Did you bake it that way?

Naah, sorry if that was unclear, Jeff. I just toasted the TJ's Naan (good stuff, by the way) and put it on the side.