Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Prime rib recipes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Prime rib recipes

by MikeH » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:16 pm

We shifted gears and decided to go with prime rib not tenderloin this year. So to all of you who are doing a standing rib roast (or anyone else who wants to chime in):

How are you cooking the meat???

Simple, with just some salt and pepper on the exterior? Or a more involved regimen?

Oven or grill?

Au jus or a fancy wine-reduction sauce?

TIA
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Prime rib recipes

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Mike, as you might have already guessed, I will be doing my standing rib on the grill, the Kamado grill. I intend to start it around 8am at 250 degrees. I will sit the roast out around 5am to let it come to room temperature, then oil it with some EVOO, then apply a load of kosher salt mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh ground black pepper. We will not eat until 2pm so I will let the roast get to within 20 degrees of my desired temperature and put the oiled/salted bakers on the grill to roast/bake. At that point I will raise the grill temperature to about 4oo degrees, and if the meat hits 138 degrees I will take it off and wrap it in foil and let it rest. I will catch any drippings from the roast and use that for the yorkshire pudding.

I will stand up a bottle of 1989 Musar rouge to go with the roast, but will also have a bottle of bordeaux as a backup. Merry Christmas to you, and Cindy, and the kids.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:45 pm

I don't own such an exalted grill as Bob, but I will be doing my prime rib (I was gonna do a crown pork roast but they were way to big for just 4 of us) on my Weber. Like Bob I'll EVOO the outside, then coat with salt, pepper and garlic. I'll sear it over direct heat for about 15-20 minutes, turning once, then moving all the coals to the outside edge of the grill for indirect cooking. Won't take long.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:52 pm

Doug, you really need to check this grill out! I can easily see that you would be able to cook on it every day living where you do. just go look at http://www.kamado.com plus they have a sale ongoing! Merry Christmas!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:08 am

Bob, I have checked them out and would love to have one I really like the look of the textured ones. But priorities being what they are, I can't justify the $$ right now. And if I could, I'd probably buy another guitar.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?