The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need Ripasso Reccos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Need Ripasso Reccos

by Jenise » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm putting together a Ripasso tasting, and need to choose six of the following wines (which are currently in Distributor warehouses in Seattle). Have no idea what vintage of each is available but they'll all be recent. I recognize a number of the names as producers I've had something from in the past, but have no real familiarity beyond Zenato and Allegrini.

Allegrini Pallazzo della Torre $20
Guiseppe Leonardi Ripasso $20
Monte Tondo Campo Ripasso $31
Tedeschi Rocco $22
Tenuta Sant' Antonion Garbi $19
Tommasi $25
Zenato $29
Ca'Rugate $27
Casa Vinironia $15
Le Salette Classico I Progni $33
Musella Superiore $26
Lorenzo Begali $20
Marchesi Biscardo Superiore $23
Tomasso Bussola Ca'Del Laito $25
D'Aquino Sonia $18
Zonin $23
Gerardo Cesari Mara $22
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Need Ripasso Reccos

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Pasqua Valpolicella Ripasso Superiore ($9.99 Trader Joe's; alcohol level: 13.5%). Great value!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Gotta have Masi Ripasso Campofiorin in there if you're doing a retrospective on ripassi.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I enjoy both the Tedeschi and Tommasi Ripasso.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:28 am

The Zenato is big and intense. The Musella is lighter and softer and more feminine (the winemaker is a woman, as well) -- more my sort of wine than the Zenato. I'm drinking the Musella 2010 now - up until a couple months ago, it was the 2009. The 2010 is quite young, while the 2009 has all the qualities of being an older wine, with some of the bottles toward the end (before we switched over to 2010) perhaps just a tad losing a bit of fruit but still lovely. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:14 am

Jenise, I have a suggestion someone might want to consider, not for ripasso selections but for tasting format. A few years ago I arranged a tasting at our house consisting of three Valpolicella ripassos and three Amarones, shuffled together and served blind. As would be expected, for most of us the Amarones blew the Valpolicellas ripassos away, but everyone at the table came up with his or her own conclusion about whether the former was worth its considerably higher cost, so it was a good learning experience for all of us. And the tasters said they got a better understanding of where the Valpolicalla ripassos' body, tannins, and character, and possibly oxidation and botrytis flavors, come from.

Now that I think of it, for the same reason maybe some day it would be fun to do a Valpolicella, Valpolicella ripasso, and Amarone tasting. I haven't been drinking much of any of them in recent years, so somebody else would have to select the wines.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 am

Sam Platt wrote:I enjoy both the Tedeschi and Tommasi Ripasso.

+1...me too!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 am

Hoke wrote:Gotta have Masi Ripasso Campofiorin in there if you're doing a retrospective on ripassi.

Agree! Pulled a 2004 yesterday to pair with baked rigatoni tonight.

Drew
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 am

Hoke wrote:Gotta have Masi Ripasso Campofiorin in there if you're doing a retrospective on ripassi.

I agree with that! I used the story of Masi in 1964 to "sell" the event--I've bought the wine here in the past--only time I've had it!--and so just assumed it was in the system. Was surprised to not see it on this list (provided by a local retailer), and have sent back an inquiry.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Now that I think of it, for the same reason maybe some day it would be fun to do a Valpolicella, Valpolicella ripasso, and Amarone tasting. I haven't been drinking much of any of them in recent years, so somebody else would have to select the wines.

Clint, I've done that very thing, many times, and always fascinating.

To be complete, though, you'd have to include Bardolino in the mix of wines, since it is based on (essentially) the same grape variety blend, but usually with different percentages. The important differences would be that Bardolino is made in an area closer to the lake and generally made to be lighter and more amenable with fish dishes and lighter fare.

If you're going full geek (although it's much harder to do since the variety of wines and producers isn't very good in the U.S. and Canada) you can further drill down to different explicit terroirs, such as comparing the Valpantena with the Val de Negrar, and some other village/valley areas.

And it's sad, but I don't drink nearly as much of those wines as I used to either. <snif>
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Clint Hall wrote:Jenise, I have a suggestion someone might want to consider, not for ripasso selections but for tasting format. A few years ago I arranged a tasting at our house consisting of three Valpolicella ripassos and three Amarones, shuffled together and served blind. As would be expected, for most of us the Amarones blew the Valpolicellas ripassos away, but everyone at the table came up with his or her own conclusion about whether the former was worth its considerably higher cost, so it was a good learning experience for all of us. And the tasters said they got a better understanding of where the Valpolicalla ripassos' body, tannins, and character, and possibly oxidation and botrytis flavors, come from.

I love your idea. But unfortunately, this is my neighborhood group and they're not geeks. I'm pouring for about 50 mostly neophytes to whom this is mostly a social event. And though of course there are some exceptions, for the majority the focus is, which wine do they like best and is it the cheapest one? I'd rather serve them only Ripasso than put the Ripassos in the position of being the least popular wines (and therefore damned to obscurity) through no fault of their own.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Agree the Masi Camp. is a good choice if you can find.
I'd include the Allegrini PdT just as a bit of a contrast, as it's a modern hybrid version I think- about 1/3 is done in drying grape on mats style, and 2/3s in a conventional fermentation. Kind of a bridge wine for ripasso newbies.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Hoke wrote:

Clint, I've done that very thing, many times, and always fascinating.

I did it once too - with a group that was more into social than geeky tasting - and it was one of the most popular tastings ever for the group. I think the great thing is that the hierarchy could be understand and appreciated by pretty much everyone. And once you get beyond the very cheapest Valpol, pretty much everything is pleasant drinking. Not that I am trying to persuade you to change your mind Jenise - but something for others to consider at least.

Sorry, but I cannot help too much with the selection, apart from to say that I always find Allegrini reliable. And I agree that a Campofiorin would be a good idea.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Hoke, your experience is the same as mine. My group was the daily wine drinker but the non-geek sort and all enjoyed the experience and commented that they had learned a lot.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 am

I agree with Steve, that the “hierarchy” of Valpolicella red wines is pretty straight forward and easy to understand. But because of the recent changes made with the production of these wines (back in the 1970’s only 5% of the grapes were left to “dry” as of 2008 40%of the grapes were left to “dry”, and the “pressing” of these “dried grapes” to produce Amarone was shortened from (no sooner than mid to late) January (the year following harvest) to as soon as December 1 (of the harvest year). As far as the production of Ripassa, everyone seems to have their own technique (or meaning of the term Ripassa). So sooner or later (what happen in Germany with their QmP) might happen in Italy, some Italian producers of Valpolicella Ripassa Superiore and Amarone della Valpolicella would find themselves “up grading” their Ripassa and “downgrading” their Amarone. Hope it don’t come down to this.

Salute
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Jenise -

I'd definitely go with the Allegrini PdT (always a good value) and the Bussola (my favorite of this group). The Le Salette is another winner, though I noticed that it's also the most expensive of the list.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Jenise -

I'd definitely go with the Allegrini PdT (always a good value) and the Bussola (my favorite of this group). The Le Salette is another winner, though I noticed that it's also the most expensive of the list.

Thanks! I'll get those. I've also found the Masi Campofiorin and have ordered it. It didn't end up on this one retailer's list because the distributor who carries it charges an extra $1 per bottle if they have to break a case. Ai yi yi. As if an extra $4 for the four bottles I need would have mattered. (This town tries my patience sometimes!)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Jenise wrote:

Thanks! I'll get those. I've also found the Masi Campofiorin and have ordered it. It didn't end up on this one retailer's list because the distributor who carries it charges an extra $1 per bottle if they have to break a case. Ai yi yi. As if an extra $4 for the four bottles I need would have mattered. (This town tries my patience sometimes!)

Ah ah ah: not the town, just a supremely greedy distributor who wants people to pay a premium for doing what he should be doing with great gratitude for getting the orders in the first place.

I think within business circles this is called: Maximize the profits, make the schmucks pay extra, and screw the potential customers.

Hey, Jenise, if it's any consolation, this is more prevalent in the big cities than the small ones. It's something I always found onerous---golly, I have to go out and open a case and pull some bottles from so I guess I'll have to charge extra for less than a full case, because god forbid I should actually not charge for doing something a customer wants, like having an order filled of something I have engaged in to distribute and supply. But the bean counters always win.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Ah ah ah: not the town, just a supremely greedy distributor who wants people to pay a premium for doing what he should be doing with great gratitude for getting the orders in the first place.

I think within business circles this is called: Maximize the profits, make the schmucks pay extra, and screw the potential customers.

Hey, Jenise, if it's any consolation, this is more prevalent in the big cities than the small ones. It's something I always found onerous---golly, I have to go out and open a case and pull some bottles from so I guess I'll have to charge extra for less than a full case, because god forbid I should actually not charge for doing something a customer wants, like having an order filled of something I have engaged in to distribute and supply. But the bean counters always win.

But, in a way, it IS the town. Yes, a greedy distributor is involved (Noble), but when I am special ordering wine anyway and asking for a complete list of what's available, I would hope to get his items too. After all, they get to pass the extra $1 on to me.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

If you are doing Campofiorin it might be an opportunity to do the reserve version as well. The 'Oro' is available here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:If you are doing Campofiorin it might be an opportunity to do the reserve version as well. The 'Oro' is available here.

Is it? At the LCB stores? Have never seen it, not sure if it's in our system or not. What would that set one back?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Pasqua Valpolicella Ripasso Superiore ($9.99 Trader Joe's; alcohol level: 13.5%). Great value!

You're not kidding. Followed up on your recco, and Clint's too as I've never compared Ripasso and Amarone side by side, and tried a bottle each last night of both of Trader Joe's offerings (same vintage). I really really REALLY liked the Ripasso, less so the heavier Amarone though thought it pretty impressive for $20.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:If you are doing Campofiorin it might be an opportunity to do the reserve version as well. The 'Oro' is available here.

Is it? At the LCB stores? Have never seen it, not sure if it's in our system or not. What would that set one back?

$30

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/583369

They have it at the store right across the street from where I happen to know you will be later tonight - open until 11:00 for those with late thirsts.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Pasqua Valpolicella Ripasso Superiore ($9.99 Trader Joe's; alcohol level: 13.5%). Great value!

Carl, I was agreeably surprised with this $10 wine recently too. I don't know if I have ever found a better TJ's wine since they moved into Lexington. If I did the point scale thing I might give it an 85 -88 point rating. I liked the one bottle I bought well enough to go back for 4 more. Also at TJ's I picked up a rather nice little Pouilly Fuisse for $15 that is likely to be a rebuy. I also saw a 2012 Volnay that sits at $22 and I might just try one of those too.
Bob Henrick