The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cider in New York

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Cider in New York

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:25 am

New York State allows beer but not wine or liquor to be sold in grocery/convenience stores. And stores that sell wine and liquor cannot sell beer. Where does cider fit in the scheme? I’ve been told that alcohol volume is the determinant. Ciders having less than a certain amount of alcohol are sold in grocery stores; those having more alcohol are sold in liquor and wine stores. But the owner of a cidery told me the other day that cider straddles the system and can be sold in both kinds of stores. Anyone know?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Cider in New York

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:28 am

I believe the owner is correct, but I can't seem to find anything specific. Last year, Senator Schumer sponsored a bill that raised the alcohol content for cider from 7% to 8.5% and eliminated the sparkling wine excise tax on cider. Good move!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:50 am

Hi Dan,
I think as far as the NYS Liquor Authority is concerned all you have to do is apply for a “provision license” to sell cider. Cider in NYS is defined as a partially or fully fermented beverage; it could be still or have residual CO2. So I don’t think ABV has anything to do with it.

Salute
no avatar
User

Alex Judge

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 pm

New York, NY

by Alex Judge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 am

I'm not sure exactly what the laws are there, but I for one have never seen cider in a liquor store, only in grocery stores, beer stores, and farmer's markets
-Alex
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am

Alex -
It is sold in some liquor stores in Syracuse.

Dan
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am

Liquor stores in Buffalo, also.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 pm

This Bloomberg article answers the question and more. In summary, effective Jan. 1, 2014 a new license governs farm cideries in NYS similar to licenses for wine, beer and distilled products. Up to 150,000 gallons of cider made exclusively of apples grown within the state may be made per year. Cider may be purchased at the cidery and, unlike other alcoholic products, it may be distributed and sold to both liquor and grocery stores.
Thanks all.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Dan,
(I might be misreading the NYS Liquor Authority website, but I think this is what it is saying).
For the liquor or grocery store to sell cider retail to consumers I believe they have to apply for a “special provision” license that permits them to sell cider retail in NYS (just another way for the state to collect more money). A grocery store that annually applies and pays the permit fee to sell beer retail in NYS now has to shell out additional money for the privilege to sell cider. A liquor store that annually applies and pays the permit fee to sell wine and spirits retail in NYS now has to shell out additional money for the privilege to sell cider.

Salute
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Victor,
What I find interesting about allowing cider to be sold in both grocery stores and liquor/wines stores is that it's a first. Previously, a specific alcoholic beverage could only be sold in one or the other. Grocery stores in NY have long been wanting to sell wine. They probably look at this as a breakthrough.

Dan