The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Touching The Glass

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Touching The Glass

by TomHill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:13 pm

One of my favorite SantaFe restaurants was reviewed a few months ago. The food got high marks but they were dinged because of the wine service. The reviewer scolded them for having waitstaff who would actually touch the lip of the wine glass with the btl when pouring the wine.
Anybody have any idea why this practice is a no-no?? I've been doing that for yrs, both for my dinner guests and at my wine tastings. It help steady my hand w/ the pour. Hmmm....maybe that's why none of my dinner guests or wine tasters ever tip me??? :-)
Anyway, just curious why this practice is frowned upon.
Tom
Last edited by TomHill on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Touching The Glass

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Could not possibly make a difference to the wine. I sometimes do it myself (I am 68) but usually not. Might be a fine point to a sommelier but unless you are trying for a Michelin star, that is pure baloney. I agree with you.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 pm

It's definitely less elegant in terms of appearance, and since you put your mouth on the glass you might not want the bottle rubbing where you put your mouth. But I agree this is something that is mostly relevant for top Michelin-esque places.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 am

I never touch the bottle to the glass but its because (1) I find it much easier to pour (and pour the correct/desired amount) and (2) I'm cheap and I think there's less risk of breakage.

That said it makes no difference and seems like a silly thing for a restaurant to be dinged on in a review. if I owned that restaurant I would't lose much sleep over it.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 am

I think its crass and certainly not something a professional should do.

Only time I've seen it done in restaurants it's by wait-staff who have little experience in serving wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 am

Peter May wrote:I think its crass and certainly not something a professional should do.

Only time I've seen it done in restaurants it's by wait-staff who have little experience in serving wine.

The other no-no is staff that pick up the glass when about to pour.