The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Turley Zin&PS HayneVnyd '93...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Turley Zin&PS HayneVnyd '93...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Tried these two over the last two nights:
1. Turley Zin HayneVnyd/NapaVlly (15.8%) 1993: Very dark color w/ slight browning; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin slight alcoholic/fumey bit cedary/pencilly/old Zon some spicy quite youthful nose; soft rather rich/ripe strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/framboise big fruit light toasty/oak/charred light cedary/pencilly bit off-dry (??) flavor w/ light/smooth/round/ripe tannins; very long slight alcoholic rich/ripe/lush strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin light toasty/oak/cedary/pencilly finish w/ smooth/lush tannins; still lots of big fruit and in remarkable condition.
2. Turley PetiteSirah HayneVnyd/NapaVlly (13.5%) 1993: Dark color w/ some browning; some funky/wet wool/earthy/dusty slight peppery/PS/blackberry bit oxidized/cedary some complex nose; soft some funky/earthy/oxidized/wet wool/dusty light cedary/pencilly finish w/ light drying/astringent tannins; med.long soft bit oxidized/wet wool/funky rather earthy/dusty slight peppery/PS bit metallic/tangy finish w/ light astringent/dried-out tannins; showing oxidation & poor storage and a paucity of fruit & drying out somewhat; some interesting things therein but not nearly the pleasure of the Zin.
1. These two were from the stash of abandoned cases I stumbled on in the back end of my garage, stored for almost 20 yrs under totally uncontrolled conditions. Most of them have been going down the drain. These two are not at all representative of what these '93's should be like. I was impressed by how good the Zin actually was...given dreadful storage conditions. Like many old wines, they can have good/great noses, but not deliver as much pleasure on the palate.
These wines were, of course, made during the HelenTurley regime.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Turley Zin&PS HayneVnyd '93...(short/boring)

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Tom,

I have to ask....

You are cleary one of the most knowledgeable wine guys here - certainly for US wines - so why the dreadful storage conditions?

You mention the horrible storage conditions in your garage almost as much as you say "of course, I've followed them from the very beginning". I don't get why a passionate wine geek would have dreadful storage conditions.

Is there a fabulous cellar somewhere that can't fit any more bottles?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Uhhhh.....

by TomHill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Tom,

I have to ask....

You are cleary one of the most knowledgeable wine guys here - certainly for US wines - so why the dreadful storage conditions?

You mention the horrible storage conditions in your garage almost as much as you say "of course, I've followed them from the very beginning". I don't get why a passionate wine geek would have dreadful storage conditions.

Is there a fabulous cellar somewhere that can't fit any more bottles?

Uhhhhh, Tom...I'm a LosAlamos guy...I just make stuff up!! :-)

These old/tired (in most cases) wines come from a slip-up. I have a wine cellar in my garage that is air-conditioned & heated (in Winter, if need be).
Twenty yrs ago (or thereabouts), I hauled some 8-10 cs out into my garage with the intent of shelving them in my cellar. Somehow, some empty wine cases
got stacked in from of them off in the corner & I forgot about them, never got them shelved. When I was clearing out that stack of empty cases, I realized there
was this stack in back that I'd forgotten about. Sad..because some of them are/were real treasures. So I've been drinking my way thru this discovered stash.
These TN's have no relation to reality for these wines because of the poor storage. But when I come across a few that still have some interest/life in
them, I do a TN. But purely for academic interest on my part. Most have been going down the drain.
Now you know the rest of the story, Tom.
Tom