Tried these Alsatians over the last few days:
1. Dom.Weinbach GWT AC: Alsace (MeBalP; 12.5%) ColetteFaller 1994: Rather deep orange bit golden color; quite aromatic/perfumed bit cinammon/nutmeg/spicy/old GWT fairly complex nose; soft/lush quite rich rather old GWT/savory/piney slight nutty some spicy/nutmeg/old GWT bit piney/tobaccoy slight nutty/savory flavor; rather long/lush/soft some spicy/old GWT/nutmeg bit piney/tobaccoy slight nutty/bitter/savory complex finish; a bit oxidized on the palate but rather good in a savory sort of way. $14.00
2. Dom.Weinbach GWT CuveeTheo AC: Alsace (MeBalP; 12.5%) 1994: Deep orange/golden/burnished bronze color; very fragrant/perfumed/aromatic bit more oxidized/resiny slight nutty/piney complex/old GWT/nutmeg quite complex nose; bit tarter/leaner/drier not as rich/lush/soft rather spicy/old GWT/nutmeg some savory/resiny slightly bitter quite complex flavor; long quite spicy/old GWT/nutmeg bit resiny/savory/piney/bitter complex finish; a bit leaner/drier/austere/bitter on the palate buut lovely old GWT nose. $18.00
3. Dom.Weinbach GWT Altenberg CuveeLaurence AC: Alsace (MeBalP; 13%) 1994: Rather orangey/golden/burnished bronze color; fairly intense very spicy/old GWT/nutmeg almost Muscatty/orangey slight resiny/savory lovely very complex nose; fairly tart very spicy/nutmeg/old GWT very rich/off-dry very perfumed/spicy slight bitter quite complex flavor; very long quite spicy/old GWT/nutmeg bit muscatty/orangey slight savory/piney/bitter very rich/lush/off-dry quite complex finish; a great example of an old Alsatian GWT; my favorite of the Weinbachs and showing the least damage. $26.00
4. Dom.Weinbach Reisling Schlossberg AC: AlsaceGrandCru Cuvee Ste.Catherine (MeBalP; 13%) 1994: Deep golden/burnished ronze color; very strong smokey/tobaccoy/slight piney rather honeyed/old Auslese R/old Sauternes quite complex nose; fairly tart/tangy slight nutty/oxidized/bitter some smokey/tobaccoy/piney some honeyed/orange peel/old Auslese complex flavor; long tart/tangy bit nutty/oxidized/bitter somewhat honeyed/old Auslese/orangey light piney/smokey/tobaccoy quite complex finish; very much like an old German Auslese; quite a lovely/complex old R. $27.60
5. Dom.MarcelDeiss TokayPinotGris Bergheim AC: Alsace (14%) 1992: Deep golden/burnished bronze/bit browning rather old-Sauternes color; very strong pineapply/orangey light smokey/tobaccoy somewhat honeyed/piney/floral bit earthy/old Sauternes complex nose; soft/lush/ripe some nutty/earthy/honeyed/honeysuckle/floral light earthy/tobaccoy/smokey some pineapple/orangey bit off-dry (0.6% RS?) fairly complex flavor; very long/lingering honeyed/orangey/pineapply rather spicy/floral/earthy/smokey old Sauternes/old Auslese lush/off-dry complex finish; showing no signs of oxidation or tired on the nose or the palate; quite a lovely wine. $18.00
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. A week ago, in this stash of wines I'd lost in my garage in totally uncontrolled storage, standing upright, for 15 yrs or so, I found this case of Alsatians. I was pretty sure they'd be totally shot & I could rip thru them in an hour. However, these five were in remarkably good condition and a pleasure to taste & drink. The others in this case were all pretty oxidized and went down the drain.
These TN's, of course, have no relevance to btls of these wines that have been held in good storage. I would guess that any such btls would be spectacular drinking right now.