Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your current food obsession?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Your current food obsession?

by Jenise » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Mine: a Mimosa salad. Butter lettuce, heavily mustarded dressing with either tarragon or fresh chopped chives, topped with chopped 7-minute hard boiled egg. Yeah, me who hates eggs. I've made and eaten four of them since last Friday. And I would happily eat another right now, for breakfast. Chances are good we'll have another tonight, since I have a new head of butter lettuce and not much else for salad around. And besides, it sounds better than anything else. I'm not done with it yet.

You?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Your current food obsession?

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Unfortunately, mine is likely to be vegan cuisine. Our daughter has decided to give up eating all animal products for Lent. While I'm tempted to serve her an undressed baked potato every night (while we eat normally), I could likely be brought up on child abuse charges for that. She'll be required to do some of the cooking but her homework load is far too tough to make that an every-night occurrence.

Sigh.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Mine: a Mimosa salad. Butter lettuce, heavily mustarded dressing with either tarragon or fresh chopped chives, topped with chopped 7-minute hard boiled egg. Yeah, me who hates eggs. I've made and eaten four of them since last Friday. And I would happily eat another right now, for breakfast. Chances are good we'll have another tonight, since I have a new head of butter lettuce and not much else for salad around. And besides, it sounds better than anything else. I'm not done with it yet.

Eggs?

Jenise! JENISE! Get over here quick - somebody's hacked into your account!

I'm going bonkers at the moment with a jar of Korean bean paste that I scored recently. I love cooking with miso, and I assumed the light Korean version I purchased would be similar to a shiro or maybe shinsu miso. Well, I guess it's sorta similar to those, but the Korean version has a coarser texture, to start, and definitely depth and flavor differences. I can see why Korean recipes often say to use Korean bean paste instead of Japanese miso if at all possible. It's not just national pride. It really changes the dish. I'm having fun plastering it on all sorts of things now.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm

Currently, it is hamburger... made from organic, locally grown beef. I love hamburger anyway, but for some reason I am craving it. Recently made a killer red pasta sauce and served over noodles. Tomorrow night I am making Patty Melt sandwiches, with lots of caramelized onions on rye bread.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Fish Chowder. We've been having it every Friday night, and will right through Lent.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Chicken wings. Hot, Buffalo style. This has been going on for 35 years. However, lately I've had a craving for ribs, which I haven't had since Summer.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Aside from the tamarind paste that I posted on the other week, one big thing in our house has been trying different Asian noodles. I've been frequenting an Asian superstore to find different ingredients and the wide array of noodles is mind (and palate) boggling. It's fun to try different stuff and tweak things for the different noodles. Right now in the house we have Toi San flat thick noodles, thin Chakou Minqing rice noodles, and an intermediate long curly Taiwanese noodle. Best part, my son loves them all!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Just curious, Rahsaan: is your son eating pescevegetarian, too?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 pm

In addition to my post above, I find I am craving canned tomato products, like Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes in rich puree, and fire roasted tomatoes....crazy!
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Ramen. F'ing David Chang.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Schug. The Yemini condiment. Quite addicting with hot green chiles, coriander, garlic and other spices I am trying it mixed in dishes for flavor boost; as a condiment on roasted meats; on salads and just about anything I think of. It is the Middle East's equivalent of Lan Chi. Very distinctive and versatile. Got a jar from a visiting Israeli friend which she said was her favorite brand and I've been trying to recreate.
The fish eggs have been processed and cured so I'm also into blinchiki and caviar as more than garnish investigations.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Mine: a Mimosa salad. Butter lettuce, heavily mustarded dressing with either tarragon or fresh chopped chives, topped with chopped 7-minute hard boiled egg. Yeah, me who hates eggs. I've made and eaten four of them since last Friday. And I would happily eat another right now, for breakfast. Chances are good we'll have another tonight, since I have a new head of butter lettuce and not much else for salad around. And besides, it sounds better than anything else. I'm not done with it yet.

You?

Are you pregnant?
Last edited by James Dietz on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Just curious, Rahsaan: is your son eating pescevegetarian, too?

Mark Lipton

He actually doesn't eat that much fish/seafood, which I guess is normal for a little kid. The only sea creature he really likes is smoked salmon. But we cook chicken for him a few times per week and we have nothing against him eating other meat, if he comes across it at school or elsewhere. Although we don't really buy it and he doesn't seek it out. (When he was a baby we would cook beef for his purees and he liked them until he got old enough to express detailed preferences!)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Just curious, Rahsaan: is your son eating pescevegetarian, too?

Mark Lipton

He actually doesn't eat that much fish/seafood, which I guess is normal for a little kid. The only sea creature he really likes is smoked salmon. But we cook chicken for him a few times per week and we have nothing against him eating other meat, if he comes across it at school or elsewhere. Although we don't really buy it and he doesn't seek it out. (When he was a baby we would cook beef for his purees and he liked them until he got old enough to express detailed preferences!)

Interesting. I've known vegetarian parents who've gone both ways on the subject. FWIW, our son loves all manner of fish, but we've been careful to serve him only very fresh fish that's mildly flavored. Smoked salmon is an interesting starting point, that's for sure.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:55 am

I'm obsessed with my chocolate mold, my paella pan, and my ice cream maker. Next up: chocolates with toasted slivered almonds, mixed land and sea food paella (I know I should do rabbit but I really want to do quail), and black sesame ice cream.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I'm obsessed with my chocolate mold, my paella pan, and my ice cream maker. Next up: chocolates with toasted slivered almonds, mixed land and sea food paella (I know I should do rabbit but I really want to do quail), and black sesame ice cream.

I'd like to hear more about the black sesame ice cream!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

I'd like to say Indian food or lentils and beans, but in all honesty, when it comes to obsession, I'm probably looking at Häagen-Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter ...
http://www.haagendazs.com/Products/Product/2454
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I'm obsessed with my chocolate mold, my paella pan, and my ice cream maker. Next up: chocolates with toasted slivered almonds, mixed land and sea food paella (I know I should do rabbit but I really want to do quail), and black sesame ice cream.

I love making paellas, Jeff, and I adore quail, but I don't know if that's the best use for them. And if you're looking for "tradition," what about snail and artichoke paella?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Mandarin oranges. My current peeland eat snack of choice. I probably average 8 or 10 of those little buggers/day.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

At home - chillies

A red Birds Eye chillie held above a dish and finely cut with a pair of scissors gives a pleasant piquancy.

In restaurant:

Escalope of veal 'Holstein'.

Unfortunately the dish which was a standard is now 'old fashioned' so I travel to London where I can go to an old fashioned restaurant to have it - and have my choice of accompaniments - I choose Lyonnais potatoes, green beans and lightly battered zucchini slices. And a bottle of Ch Batailley.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Redwinger wrote:Mandarin oranges. My current peeland eat snack of choice. I probably average 8 or 10 of those little buggers/day.

Me, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:

I'd like to hear more about the black sesame ice cream!

When I make it, I'll post. I've got the seeds already but my calendar is full of holes right now.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

I love making paellas, Jeff, and I adore quail, but I don't know if that's the best use for them. And if you're looking for "tradition," what about snail and artichoke paella?

Snails are OK but Jim won't eat artichokes. That's why I end up doing seafood and chicken a lot.

But I am still working on my technique a bit. Getting a good sofrito is one thing, getting the right quantities of rice and stock for my 16" pan is another. (My first effort good but a little skimpy, the second effort was too wet.)
Next