Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red lentil stew worth an inheritance

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Considering the bible story of Jacob persuading his brother Esau to sell him his firstborn’s inheritance rights for a lunch of lentil stew (“pottage”), you might be tempted to think that lentil stew wasn’t worth much. But I’m here to tell you that lentils can make a mighty comforting dinner.

Healthy and nutritious, packed with protein and bursting with meaty flavor, these tiny legumes can make a filling meal. They come in a pretty variety of colors, but I’m particularly fond of red lentils, which cook up fairly quickly into a comforting stew. Or pottage, if an inheritance is at stake.

Not long ago, I built a pilaf-style dish with a mix of red lentils, lima beans and basmati rice cooked with aromatic flavors. Tonight I tried this approach without the rice and was delighted with the result, a quick and simple stew, satisfying and loaded with flavor.

To make enough for two, I rinsed 1/2 cup of red lentils very well in several changes of water, then set them aside to drain in a strainer while I browned 1 cup of sliced onions with about 1/2 tablespoon each of minced garlic and fresh ginger. When the onions were brown and aromatic, I stirred in the drained lentils, 1 cup of thawed frozen lima beans, and 1 cup water. I brought it up to a simmer and added another cup of flavoring mix made with 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon chili sauce, a dash of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of chopped green chiles and enough water to bring the total up to 1 cup.

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft but retain their shapes and the liquid is absorbed. (Add a little water if needed.) Check seasonings and salt to taste only at the end of cooking.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Red lentil stew worth an inheritance

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Very much agree with you on the deliciousness of lentil stews. We make it with wine braised veggies and that dish has been a favorite of my daughter's since she first had it years ago. Your version sounds quite yummy.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 am

Sounds tasty, though I would use more chili sauce and skip the green chiles (Laura does not eat green chlies...sigh...)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sounds tasty, though I would use more chili sauce and skip the green chiles (Laura does not eat green chlies...sigh...)

My wife has a similar distaste for any kind of cooked bell pepper. I can sneak green chilies in once in a while, but she's not real fond of them either. I like both.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Robin, this was a tasty dish. I had red lentils in my second fridge that I got from our flour mill. Surprisingly, I could not find lima beans in our stores, only baby lima beans. I whipped it up for lunch today, and it was filling and comforting. I overcooked the lentils a bit but it was still nice. I've not been a lentil lover, to me they don't have much taste. I keep trying using the different colors, but I definitely could live without them. I liked the combo of the soy sauce with the chili sauce, it did give a good pop to the dish.