The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

March Wine Focus - Wine Values ($20 and under)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

March Wine Focus - Wine Values ($20 and under)

by JC (NC) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Less expensive wines? (say under $20 or the equivalent in other currencies)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Time to be thinking of next month's focus

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:18 pm

I could support that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 am

Plus 1. Some good prices for Espana!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:20 am

If we call that €159, there are hosts of delicious wines available here under that level but all French.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:30 am

All French Tim?? What a pain :mrgreen:.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 am

Tim York wrote:If we call that €159, there are hosts of delicious wines available here under that level but all French.

I hope you mean €15.90, as I don't think the Euro has collapsed...yet.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Tim York wrote:If we call that €159, there are hosts of delicious wines available here under that level but all French.

I hope you mean €15.90, as I don't think the Euro has collapsed...yet.

Finger trouble! I meant 15€.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Great idea! One small nuance: I'm sure this is so obvious that you didn't see a need to mention it, but I'd like to emphasize with clarity that we're looking for QPR, wines of exceptional value for their price, not just "Good enough to get a cheap buzz on." :mrgreen:

I agree that the range of US$20 or 15€ is a good cutoff point.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm

We're not looking for a cheap buzz?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:We're not looking for a cheap buzz?

Now we're talking about separating the sheep from the goats. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Now we're talking about separating the sheep from the goats. :mrgreen:

They both make a nice stew!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

WTN: 2005 Dönnhoff Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 pm

This one cost $17.99 on release. I can still get current vintages for $20 or less.

2005 Dönnhoff Riesling - Germany, Nahe (3/2/2014)
Some of the universal questions shall forever remain unanswered (why are we here, why do bad things happen to good people, why are the Cubs, Knicks, Browns, etc. cursed with inept management). I need to answer the question as to why I did not, until recently, buy a case of Donnhoff's Estate Riesling each and every year. Going on 9 years old, the 2005 Donnhoff Estate Riesling is just rolling along as if it has all the time in the world. Ripe peach, lemon, salty stones and the barest hint of smoke all float out of the glass, glide across the palate, and linger like the memory of a kiss. What an amazing wine, that has come from comparatively humble origins (Oberhauser Kieselberg, Oberhauser Felsenberg). Lovely.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: March Wine Focus - Wine Values ($20 and under)

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 pm

2012 Cavallotto Dolcetto d'Alba Vigna Scot

This was my winter house red. Bought a case on wholesale DI back in November from the restaurant I was at; retail should be $18-19 locally. Finishing the last glass of the last bottle as I speak... Such a lovely companion to so many cold nights' warming dishes (spicy chili tonight and -2 degrees F currently). This is one of the few wines that I can truly enjoy with or without food. Enough fruit to stand alone, and rustic enough to pair with so many things food wise. Lots of lush blackberry and dark wild berry fruit, with an herbal and loamy earthy finish. Wonderfully balanced - I can see why Dolcetto is such a popular table wine for the Piedmontese. I can also see why Dolcetto should be drunk so young - it is just too delicious now to let sit and age! I must admit, in the past, not being a big Dolcetto fan due to having tasted poor examples, but this, along with the Dolcetto d'Alba from Vajra have won me over. Wish I'd ordered two cases....
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Dolcetto does not get the publicity it deserves. Food friendly, fresh and lively, it's a wine for all seasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 am

On Friday night we opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Pasqua (one of their house brands) 2010 Ripasso to show a friend as a possibility for a good, reasonable red to serve at her wedding in a few weeks. I had bought an extra bottle a few weeks back to re-taste myself. On Friday night it was again surprisingly nice, and Linda (I think) was convinced that this was a smart choice. But we only tasted at it, so Bob and I poured the half bottle remaining for ourselves yesterday afternoon, and I have to share about just how surprised I was at the fact that it not only didn't fall apart overnight or turn to vinegar, it improved. The raspberry-cranberry-cherry fruit had picked up a wonderful lively pepperiness not evident the night before. It's not just good for $9.99, it's good period.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 am

Whilst my main collection remains mostly inaccessible in movers' boxes, nearly all my consumption at present is of wines purchased locally at under €15. Some have been very nice including a Marcillac at about 9€, a Huet Vouvray-like Savennières 2010 from Ch.de Varennes at <€10 whilst a Savennières 2005 Cuvée de l'Avant - Chamboureau, Soulez at <€6 was rich but so evolved that it was on the verge of tumbling into oxidisation. This was last night's bottle.

Fronton Cuvée Don Quichotte 2008 - Domaine le Roc - Alc.13% -(€13), made from Négrette 60% and Syrah 40%.

This was much more refined than any previous Fronton in my experience and I don't think that it was just reading about the Syrah on the back label that made me think of Northern Rhône with its notes of steely cherry on medium full body with lively non-astringent acidity. The slightly gummy and tarry tang and rustic streak which I associate with previous Fronton and like was, however, missing. It reminded me a little of a country lad who has learnt to speak posh. Good wine though and I'll probably buy it again along with its entry level stable mate which i may like more.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I really enjoy a good Marcillac. I wish I could get one without paying $4/bottle in shipping. Kind of kills the value.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really enjoy a good Marcillac. I wish I could get one without paying $4/bottle in shipping. Kind of kills the value.

Usually buy when in London but now we have Tim to ship over here :lol: .
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:56 pm

If any of the wine shops near you bring anything in from Charles Neal, he imports a lovely Marcillac from Domaine des Costes Rouge.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really enjoy a good Marcillac. I wish I could get one without paying $4/bottle in shipping. Kind of kills the value.

I have gone on record as finding Fer Servadou swoonworthy. The best examples run about $20 (late, lamented Causse Marines version and Dom. du Cros's) so I'll happily pay shipping on them, but YMMV.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

In the sparkling wine department: Gruet NV Brut, Blanc de Noirs, and Rose.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Well the Dishwasher beat me to the Pasqua Ripasso. So tonight we had the 2011 Tommolo Montepulciano d'Abruzzo ($7.97 at Trader Joe's; Alcohol level: 13%). This is absolutely the fruitiest Monte we've ever enjoyed; and it held up with enough body to match with lamb shanks and spaghetti.

So, somebody tell me how do the grow organic grapes on the West Coast of Italy, make it into a 13% delicious wine with a natural cork, ship it do someplace on the East Coast of the U.S., get it into Trader Joes system, and shipped to Portsmouth, NH and sell for that price? This has to be the best value in the U.S.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm

2006 Corvina Veronese “Maiorano” Rosso IGT 13.5% ABV (on sale for $9.99 USD reg price $13.99 -still worth it!)

The appearance of this wine is clear and brilliant with a deep ruby red color. The nose is fairly intense and fruity. With hints of bright red fruit, red currant, some coffee beans and chocolate. On the palate the wine is medium bodied with a soft, smooth, and rich texture. The finish is long and pleasant with just a hint of earth and spicy notes.

Salute
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 am

Jaffelin Cremant de Bourgogne Grand Cuvee Speciale Blanc de Blanc Brut

Méthode traditionnelle from 100% Chardonnay

Color: Pale yellow with rapid fire tiny bubbles.

Nose: White flowers and peaches.

Taste: Crisp, clean minerality with apricot and a bit of buttered toast on the finish.

Pairing: Goes wonderfully well with all manner of shellfish, but it is great with pan seared scallops.

I hadn't tried much Cremant de Bourgogne until it started showing up on WTSO. At $9.99 this stuff is hard to beat as a regular drinking apartif or shellfish pairing. I did purchase another CdB from a different supplier that was not blanc de blanc and not nearly as good. Perhaps quality is highly variable among these wines.

PS: Does "blanc de blanc" imply "méthode traditionnelle?"
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
Next