Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kaitaia Fire Chili Pepper Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Kaitaia Fire Chili Pepper Sauce

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I have a nephew bicycling New Zealand area, and he has been raving about this sauce. Anyone know of it and know a US source for buying it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Kaitaia Fire Chili Pepper Sauce

by Jenise » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Karen, no idea. Obviously you'd have googled it too and found nothing, but I also checked Vancouver area since I essentially live there too, and again came up blank. Via their website, then, I sent an inquiry about distributors in the U.S. or Canada. I'll let you know if they answer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, no idea. Obviously you'd have googled it too and found nothing, but I also checked Vancouver area since I essentially live there too, and again came up blank. Via their website, then, I sent an inquiry about distributors in the U.S. or Canada. I'll let you know if they answer.

It is available through Amazon but they are sold out at this time. Other than that I only found ordering it from New Zealand. I could ask my nephew to mail me some but since he is traveling by bicycle pulling a small trailer, it would be too much of an inconvenience. I wanted to get a few bottles so I could give him a couple when he comes home in ten months. He seems to really have taken a liking to it and New Zealand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:It is available through Amazon but they are sold out at this time.

I saw that, but "sold out" can be Amazon-speak for "we had it once but it didn't sell well and we have no plan to restock--you're seeing this link because everything's immortal on the internet". Anyway, I'll let you know if they write back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 am

Karen/NoCA wrote: Anyone know a US source for buying it?

How about

Light My Fire
6333 West 3rd Street #230-234
Los Angeles, CA 90036

see http://www.hotsaucetogo.com/product.php?productid=430
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks for the link Peter, and they are in CA too! Called them this morning and it seems they are out of the New Zealand sauce at this time.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:31 am

Oh, that's a shame. Did they say they would be getting any more?

There are some UK online retailers who list it and if you can't get it locally I could buy one and mail it to you. But not until April because I'm of to South Africa for a month.

I'm currently using a hot sauce I bought at a chilli fair last year, grown and made locally - Salsa Numero Uno from Fat Man Chilli - http://fatmanchilli.webs.com/ourproducts.htm
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Peter May wrote:Oh, that's a shame. Did they say they would be getting any more?

There are some UK online retailers who list it and if you can't get it locally I could buy one and mail it to you. But not until April because I'm of to South Africa for a month.

I'm currently using a hot sauce I bought at a chilli fair last year, grown and made locally - Salsa Numero Uno from Fat Man Chilli - http://fatmanchilli.webs.com/ourproducts.htm

Cool site Peter, I love the idea of a catsup made with Sungold tomatoes....my favorite cherry tomato. It sounds delicious. The freight would be horrendous I bet. The store said they do not know when it will be in. She did take my name and number and promised to call.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 pm

It seems Fat Man Chili does not ship outside of the United Kingdom....according to their drop down box, it only lists United Kingdom.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm

I asked the Fat Man himself and he reckons for one or two bottles it will cost £20 to ship to US -- seems a lot.

PM me in April if you haven't been able to get your Kaitaia and I'll look into postage costs myself and see if I can get one to you.