The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cathy Corison Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Cathy Corison Question

by Jim Grow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I am always looking for the first great (in an Alsatian way) Gewurztraminer from North American so when I recently read that Cathy Corison, in addition to Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc, makes a Gewuztraminer I was very curious. Given the high quality of everything else she makes, having not tried them myself(too expensive), I was wondering if anyone out there had tried her Gew. and what they thought about it. What say thee?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Cathy Corison Question

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm

It's been a number of years, but we always bought one at the winery when we visited. If you like Gewürztraminer , I think you would like hers.
Diane
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Yes, she makes a quite delicious dry Gewurztraminer. While my favorites from CA come from the Anderson Valley (Lazy Creek and Navarro), hers is right up there.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Definitely a dry and spicy and rich version. Still great acid, of course. Only reason I've not picked up a bottle is because I like her reds so very much.

Sadly, the money for my Corison shipment this month is being channelled into replacing my stolen bicycle, instead! Argh!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks all for the replies. If I ever encounter her Gew. I'll be sure to buy some.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 am

Sorry, Brian about your bicycle. Did it occur where you live or somewhere on a biking excursion?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:18 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Sorry, Brian about your bicycle. Did it occur where you live or somewhere on a biking excursion?

On a bicycling expedition that was timed to coincide with a wine tasting. In Berkeley. A block from the punk rock club and two blocks from an under-the-underpass homeless encampment. Not that the bicycle was stolen by a homeless person or feral punk rock kid. :? But not a good place to leave a fancy bicycle outside the doorway while tasting at Brock Cellars. Not one of my more brilliant acts of carelessness. :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Sorry about your bicycle, Brian, and not to take away from the concern of your misfortune, but how were the wines at Brock? I spend some time in Berkeley each year.
Diane