The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two @ Dinner..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two @ Dinner..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Tried these two last night:
1. RosenblumCllrs PetiteSirah NapaVlly (13.4%; StGeorgeVnyd/StHelena/70+ yr old + BarberasVnyd/Calistoga/60+ yr old; SaH: 23.6%, TA: 0.72; Bttld: March'89; U/U) 1987: Very dark/murkey color w/ some browning; slight aged/cedary/pencilly strong boysenberry/blackberry/PS/chocolaty/peppery bit spicy some smokey/oak lovely old PS nose; soft slight oxidized/tired some cedary/pencilly/old Red strong boysenberry/blackberry/PS/chocolaty/RCCola/licorice slight smokey/oak flavor w/ smooth/gentle tannins; long bit spicy/peppery strong boysenberry/blackberry/PS/chocolaty/RCCola light toasty/oak/cedary/pencilly/old red slight bretty/leathery finish w/ light/drying tannins; still has lots of PS fruit and showing a trace of oxidation but in amazingly good condition.
2. OjaiVnyd Syrah Calif TW Oakview 1986: Med.dark rather murkey/brown/ugly color; some toasty/smokey/roasted/graphite/oldRhone/roasted meats/pungent complex nose w/ little fruit; bit tart/tangy quite old NR/roasted/smokey/charred/smoked meats/graphite/mineral some toasty/oak/pencilly biit oxidized/tired/cedary/pencilly/old Red flavor w/ light/dried-out tannins; med.long tart/tangy/metallic bit oxidized/cedary/pencilly/old red some old NR/roasted/smokey meats/espresso complex finish w/ light/drying/astringent tannins; a bit on the tired/dried out side on the palate but has considerable character of an old Hermitage and still offers up some pleasure. $10.00
1. These two were from my stash of wines stored in the garage in uncontrolled conditions, standing upright, for 15-18 yrs. Five of the btls went down the drain afore I came to these two which were relatively good. A good way to end the day.
2. Ojai: This Syrah came 100% from Adam's Estate Syrah vnyd their in Oakview. Alas, the vnyd succumbed to Pierce's disease not long thereafter and was left to die off. As you drive up Adam's driveway to his wnry, you can look off onto the flats to the right and see a few of the vines out there that still exist.
In Adam's early Syrah days, he tended to use quite a bit of toasty/oak. That shows in this wine. Since then, he's moderated his oak usage considerably.
I have, of course, followed AdamTolmach from the very start. He used to be a fair-haired boy of Monktown attourneys. Alas, he now lives in the Parker wood-shed, where he's joined by SteveEdmunds & BobLindquist. Wonder what those guys drink out there all day?? Probably low-alcohol/under-oaked/screechy acidity/natural wines from God-forsaken grapes like PinotGrigio.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Two @ Dinner..(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:10 pm

all Vermentino, all the time
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Vermentino is so last year. It's all Trousseau now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Ojai Syrah

by TomHill » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

According to Adam, his btls of this under good storage are pretty much dead & gone. I probably have a more tolerant
attitude towards old/decrepit wines than he does. It had some old Hermitage character that I rather liked.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Standing? Overlooked, or an experiment?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:02 pm

It's been interesting reading about the wines that have survived all of those years in your garage, Tom. Now you have me wondering something. Given the wines that have made it through this process, were there any that maybe should have (or could have) also made it through that got dumped down the drain? Is there any consistency to this or does it seem entirely random as to which wines were still worth drinking?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:45 am

Jenise wrote:Standing? Overlooked, or an experiment?

Jenise,
Long ago, I took abouut 10-12 cs of wine out to my garage w/ the intent to shelve them in my wine cellar.
Some "stuff" (don't ask) got stacked in front of them, and I forgot about them (don't ask).
I rediscovered them when I was cleaning out there about a month ago, where they's sat in totally uncontroled
storage (90's in the Summer, 30's in the Winter), all standing upright. For about 15-20 yrs.
So I've been tasting thru this stash over the last few weeks. Most are shot...but a few have survived...
the ones I put up TN's.
Tom

And don't ask for a pic of my garage, Jenise!!! Ain't gonna happen.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

No pattern...

by TomHill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:It's been interesting reading about the wines that have survived all of those years in your garage, Tom. Now you have me wondering something. Given the wines that have made it through this process, were there any that maybe should have (or could have) also made it through that got dumped down the drain? Is there any consistency to this or does it seem entirely random as to which wines were still worth drinking?

Mike,
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason about which ones have survived or not. Some of the Zins/Syrahs/Pinots have made it.
Amazingly, some of the Chards/Rieslings/GWTs have survived. Surprisingly few of the Cabs...counter-intuitive.
Two btls of a Rosenblum '89 PS...one totally shot, one still going strong.
Think it probably is a function of the cork. Nearly all the corks are sound and firmly in the btl (stored upright). Only a few have crumbled.
Only one had dried out & dropped into the wine. Most come out (w/ varying degrees of difficulty) w/ an Ah-So. Go figure!!
It's been an interesting experiment. And a bit sad & brings a tear to my eye when an old friend goes down the drain.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: No pattern...

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:14 pm

TomHill wrote:Mike,
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason about which ones have survived or not. Some of the Zins/Syrahs/Pinots have made it.
Amazingly, some of the Chards/Rieslings/GWTs have survived. Surprisingly few of the Cabs...counter-intuitive.
Two btls of a Rosenblum '89 PS...one totally shot, one still going strong.
Think it probably is a function of the cork. Nearly all the corks are sound and firmly in the btl (stored upright). Only a few have crumbled.
Only one had dried out & dropped into the wine. Most come out (w/ varying degrees of difficulty) w/ an Ah-So. Go figure!!
It's been an interesting experiment. And a bit sad & brings a tear to my eye when an old friend goes down the drain.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Sounds like it's pretty much a crapshoot as to which make it and which don't, assuming the corks last.

And yeah, it's tough when a wine you know you should have been able to enjoy just has to get dumped.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child