Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A nice alternative to salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

A nice alternative to salad

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Not that I'm not still the proponent of a bowl of leafy raw greens once a day, I'll always advocate for that. But in household where that's routine, this plate of mixed peppers, hot from the skillet and salted, was a real nice diversion. The green peppers came from H Mart and were merely labeled "sweet green peppers". And indeed they were not hot--just two out of the whole package, and the rest were mild. Not as assertive as the wonderful Spanish Padrone peppers, but better than no skillet pepper ever again. With a Sauvignon blanc, it was a perfect first course, shared in a cuddle on the sofa while watching the evening news.

Something to look for if you have an H Mart near you!

IMG_1108.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: A nice alternative to salad

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Thats beautiful Jenise and I can taste them right now. We go through a lot of peppers, since I grow them in the summer. Did you know most of them freeze very well?. I pick jalapeños, Serrano, sweet Italian, myriad of others grown every year, and toss them in freezer bags straight from the garden. I have several bags in my freezer now that I use all the time, for scrambled eggs, omelets, soups, Tex-Mex, Mexican dishes, braised meat dishes, and given a quick browning, they are great in salads. We love the beautiful red and orange bells and use them all year long. Great idea you had for a first course, wine and movie! Those beautiful peppers are a power house of nutrition.