The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dead or alive? 95 Pavillon Rouge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Dead or alive? 95 Pavillon Rouge

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Reports on Cellartracker are mixed. Of the last five reports, two found it okay in 2012 (one, who sounded like he knew his way around a Bordeaux, said "Has time") but the three more recent reports (from names unfamiliar) describe it in the grip of death. Anyone here taste one recently?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Dead or alive? 95 Pavillon Rouge

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Jenise - I used to drink Pavillon Rouge and I may have had the 1995, but it would have been in the days before I cellared and understood the benefits of cellaring wine. I just think that 1995 is a tough vintage and would be concerned about the imbalance between fruit and tannins. At this time, I only have one remaining 1995, and that is Angelus.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Jenise - I used to drink Pavillon Rouge and I may have had the 1995, but it would have been in the days before I cellared and understood the benefits of cellaring wine. I just think that 1995 is a tough vintage and would be concerned about the imbalance between fruit and tannins. At this time, I only have one remaining 1995, and that is Angelus.

Yikes, really? I am certain I have a few I haven't touched: Montrose, Giscours, Margaux, and Ducru-Beaucailou off the top of my head among them. Just one Pavillon, which was a gift. I've never bought it for myself so I don't even relate to it being in my cellar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I sorely doubt it is dead/dying. Too tannic for its own good? Sure.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:52 pm

I had the a Ducru last year and the tannins were huge. I would feel confident in that one, and I wish I had another bottle to drink in a few years.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:I had the a Ducru last year and the tannins were huge. I would feel confident in that one, and I wish I had another bottle to drink in a few years.

Same here, though the bottle of a friend vs. one of my own.