Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The best new vegetable you haven't tried yet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The best new vegetable you haven't tried yet

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:01 am

Called lollipop kale, this is supposedly a cross between Russian red kale and conventional Brussels sprouts. So they're bluish-purple little loose, open 2" heads about the size of brussels sprouts. They're not widely grown yet, but given the popularity of kale-related greens lately, surely it's only a matter of time before something that new, tiny and wonderful shows up everywhere.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: The best new vegetable you haven't tried yet

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

I tried finding these when I put in my kales, spinach, chard earlier this year. It seems they are difficult to grow and take up much time of ground space, making them less than an ideal crop, profit wise. Some growers have said you have to baby them to get them started. We just have to wait and see how they do. I think chefs in San Francisco are using them. They are grown in Salinas right now. Will have to check again with one of the organic growers to see if they are going to try their luck with them.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:39 pm

I grew curly Kale all over the winter - its still growing. Lovely plant, looks attractive, keeps growing when everything else died or was eaten by bugs, you cut off leaves to cook and new ones appear.

It has everything going for it except I don't like its taste and neither do the rest of the family ...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Peter May wrote:I grew curly Kale all over the winter - its still growing. Lovely plant, looks attractive, keeps growing when everything else died or was eaten by bugs, you cut off leaves to cook and new ones appear.

It has everything going for it except I don't like its taste and neither do the rest of the family ...

That's the trouble with kale.....we know it is very healthy for us....grows well, look pretty, but oh my, that taste. I keep trying different kale and different ways to grow them. Now, I am perusing the gardening catalogs I get for one that says, "everyone loves it".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Peter May wrote:I grew curly Kale all over the winter - its still growing. Lovely plant, looks attractive, keeps growing when everything else died or was eaten by bugs, you cut off leaves to cook and new ones appear.

The darker and sharper the green, the more estrogen it contains. Maybe it's a man thing? (But then the whole of the Netherlands goes nuts, men included, when the new season's kale comes in, so that doesn't exactly explain it.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Maybe you just don't like kale. I find it very delicious, quickly sauteed with salt and olive oil or any finishing vinegar. Hard to go wrong with such fresh crisp deep green flavors. I pretty much like all greens, but find kale much friendlier than the aggressive mustard greens or less vibrant collards. Chard is an easy winner and I like the silky texture, but the flavor can be a bit plain, as with spinach. Now that I think about it, kale is the perfect middle ground with plenty of flavor but nothing too funky or difficult. Others obviously feel differently.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:33 pm

This may be linked to a given person's sensitivity to bitterness. We love kale, and my favorite preparation is something learned from a former student from Kenya: chop the kale leaves and dice a firm tomato. Sauté both in a neutral oil (we use grapeseed or canola) until the tomato has "liquified" and the kale has wilted. Dress with lemon juice to taste. It's got a lovely, earthy flavor and an appealing texture.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 pm

I love kale, but then I love bitter.

Say, speaking of international treatments, friends in Holland used to buy a bag of kale and throw it in the freezer for later use in a stamppot or saute. They believed that freezing sweetened it somehow, though I never tested the difference.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:01 am

Our local farm (where I get my CSA) has a winter greenhouse and grows all manner of kale. I use it as soon as I get it (which means the day it is picked), and it is still sweet, not bitter. It either ends up in soup (or a curry) or as chips.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 am

I usually get lacinato kale and don't find it to be terribly bitter. It's usually sauteed and either thrown into some sort of stewed dish or served as a side. My wife also makes kale chips on a regular basis and we all love them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm

I'll keep an eye out for these, as I love both kale and Brussels sprouts (which I hated as a kid, as they were always boiled/steamed)

I guess my genetic affinity supports kale; we have it quite often. Baby kale in a salad, roasted kale, sauteed kale and mushrooms in a miso sauce, etc. I really enjoyed this super-easy recipe recently:
http://inmybowl.com/2013/12/30/kale-whi ... ato-korma/
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Peter, somewhere on this forum is a recipe for "Beans and Greens soup" this is provided compliments of Howie Hart. Actually it works with most any green leafy vegetable, but I particularly like it with Kale or a mix of kale and spinach. Search it out and try it!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm

For Bob & Peter - here is the link (from the archives): http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/recipes/rc_464708.html. This recipe does not specify kale, but it works nicely, as Bob pointed out.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks!