The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Special Club, PTG, VdT, Cowan, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Special Club, PTG, VdT, Cowan, etc

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 am

Sunday was subdued, after the DST spring forward and early airport shuttle, we piddled around and recovered from benefit concert. Dinner was lemon sole with the 2010 Mellot “La Moussiere” Sancerre in half bottle. This seems a little flabby for Sancerre, though I liked before. Nicely herbaceous, just needs some zip. B-/C+

Monday I made baked eggs with mushrooms, salad, & snow peas. We celebrated
a milestone in her career with the 2005 Vazart-Coquart Special Club Blanc de Blancs. Full, clean, and long, with fresh baked bread over sweet pear fruit. Good acids, fine mousse, B+/A-

Tuesday grilled teriyaki-ish salmon, squash, and asparagus, with brown rice, furikake and the 2010 Cowan Cellars “Sonoma Coast” Pinot Noir. More restrained and less primary than a bottle soon after release. To me this is drinking better than the Bennett Valley, a fine juicy midbodied PN with sweet cherries, a cinnamon-y spice note, and a little smoked meat. Good acids, nice finish,. B+

Wednesday Dave was back from a trip to Berkeley, and Betsy made one his favorites, a beef/spinach/cinnamon stew over soba. Wine was the 2012 Lapierre Raisins Gaulois (no Roman numerals, vintage dates on VdT now). 2012 is supposed to be tough in Beaujolais, but this is a fun little wine- straightahead red fruits with just a touch of earth, easy to drink and easy to like. B/B+

Thursday Dave joined us again- I did Cornish hens with a vinegar/tomato sauce, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, and a chopped salad; wine was the 2010 Chevillon Bourgogne Passetoutgrain. A little shrill at first opening, with raspberry and cranberry fruit, but just a half hour of air does it a lot of good, and it drinks well throughout night. The fruit fills out and gets more of a black cherry profile, acidity integrates, and it seems more complete. Very good indeed. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Special Club, PTG, VdT, Cowan, etc

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Really appreciate the Cowan note. I have been staring at mine for a few months. Of course the one I decided to stand up was the Bennett Valley...
Decisions are made by those who show up