Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

ERIN GO BRAH

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

ERIN GO BRAH

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE DINNER:

4 lbs Corned Beef
1 lg Head cabbage in wedges
12 Medium potatoes peeled
6 Large carrots peeled

Marinade:
½ cup Red wine
½ cup Red wine vinegar
2 tsp Crushed garlic cloves (jarred)
1 tsp Garlic powder
4 Bay leaves
1 tsp Peppercorns
1 tsp Celery seed
2 tbl Pickling spices
½ tsp Dry mustard

Mix marinade and add corned beef. Store in refrigerator overnight, turning at least once. Scrape marinade off beef, and put in large pot. Strain marinade into pot. Cover beef and marinade with water, bring to boil, and simmer two hours. Add vegetables, be sure all are covered with water. Bring to boil again, and simmer two more hours. Be sure veggies are done, and remove them to warm platter. Slice meat and add to platter. Make gravy from liquid. For each quart of liquid, add ½ cup of instant mix flour.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: ERIN GO BRAH

by Jenise » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Lovely. My corned beef is on the stove right now (a freshly made one from Whole Foods--no plastic vacuum pack this year!). What chance is there that the vegetables wouldn't be done in two hours? I'm surprised at that instruction.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:04 pm

A 'large' head of cabbage is a bit subjective. You could try slicing thinner wedges to match the thickness of the potatoes. That way, 2 hours is still reasonable. I'm gonna give myself 3 hours when I try this, just in case. Happy Cooking!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Joe, my question came from the other direction. I wasn't worried about the cabbage undercooking, just the part of Carl's recipe that implied two hours might not be enough, as I couldn't understand under what circumstance that could be the case. How long one cooks them is just a preference thing. When I do corned beef and cabbage, I add the vegetables near the end of cooking--the cabbage is my idea of 'done' in 15-20 minutes, even in large wedges. Carrots will get 20-25 minutes. Potatoes, I don't even do potatoes in the broth anymore. I've taken to preferring to have something on the plate that DIDN'T cook in the broth for flavor and texture contrast. So I flip back and forth between oven roasting the potatoes or serving a bulgur wheat pilaf instead. And every plate is garnished with bright green grilled scallions.

Say, aren't you involved with the IWFS?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Jenise, yes I blog for the IW&FS.

You're right, roasting them would be a welcomed change for this traditional Irish dish. And I agree, as I am not much for boiled potatoes either.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Cool, I've been to one or two events with the Vancouver chapter.
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Great, you must know Jim and Melina?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Holy Toledo. Yes I do!!! Jim and I belong to a monthly brown bag lunch group hosted by Bill Spohn, who also frequents this forum, and we see them as a couple at various other events.
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Cool, small world. I created the video for the Vancouver Branch's website.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Have to admit that the last couple of years we've been cooking all the ingredients separately in the pressure cooker. We make sure we have a cup of strained marinade for the meat, and another cup with additions of wine and vinegar for the potatoes and carrots, and ditto for the cabbage.