Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hipster toast?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Hipster toast?

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 am

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Hipster toast?

by Tom NJ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:34 am

"If you don’t get good bread, you’re fucked. Quote me on that.” Wow, BA turns off their nanny filter!

Lol. Gotta go buy a dedicated thermometer gun for my toaster now. Wonder how long it will take my 12-dollar Target special to reach 750? Maybe if I set it on fire....
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 am

For that kind of price, it had better be some pretty amazing toast.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:For that kind of price, it had better be some pretty amazing toast.

It is. He puts butter AND salt on it. Whoa.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 am

Over the weekend, This American Life had an interesting piece on the trend, and traced it to this very un-hip woman who started a cafe with toast as a way of dealing with her mental issues: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/520/no-place-like-home?act=3

Aside from that, I'm all in favor of people trying to do thing better and in a more delicious way. The problem is when they either gouge on the pricing or when the big chains come in and do schlocky versions of the concept.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 am

Does anybody remember the old Bob & Ray radio show? They had an ongoing skit called "Mary Backstage, Noble Wife" which was a spoof of the radio soap "Mary Noble, Backstage Wife". In the spoof, the lead characters owned a restaurant that served only two items: toast, and frosty prune whip shakes. They installed the biggest industrial toast maker they could find - it pumped out something like 7,000 slices an hour - but it was so big it only left room for 2 chairs in the dining area.

I wonder if Josey Baker has thought about adding shakes to his menu. Life does tend to imitate art, and he's halfway there already.
Last edited by Tom NJ on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 am

Okay, I'm going to step up and admit it. I would like to try that. :oops:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:06 am

Ah heck, my toaster does not get that hot....but it does pop the toast out so high that we have to stand there to catch it or it ends up on the floor. Remember the chunky avocado toast Jenise told us about? Browned butter is slathered on the toast first, then chunky avocado, then maldon sea salt! It has become a favorite at our home, and I bet it is every bit as good as what they are doing. We use good bread too! :lol:
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Are you telling me that the way we made toast is....toast? Damn hipsters!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:17 pm

In a way, I actually relate to this. Most toast here at Chez J is made from thick, hand-cut slices of bakery bread. It take that one more level of geeky toastiness by spreading the slices with butter before toasting, and then toasting butter side up in a toaster oven, not a vertical toaster. The butter browns to delicious nuttiness on the bread achieving flavor that no toast buttered after toasting will ever get, but because of the thickness it does get that perfect interior-exterior contrast described in the article. Love my toaster oven--it out-toasts a vertical toaster, and it can do other things too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Jenise wrote:In a way, I actually relate to this. Most toast here at Chez J is made from thick, hand-cut slices of bakery bread. It take that one more level of geeky toastiness by spreading the slices with butter before toasting, and then toasting butter side up in a toaster oven, not a vertical toaster. The butter browns to delicious nuttiness on the bread achieving flavor that no toast buttered after toasting will ever get, but because of the thickness it does get that perfect interior-exterior contrast described in the article. Love my toaster oven--it out-toasts a vertical toaster, and it can do other things too.

And you don't have to pay $4.00 for the toast! That is just nuts!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Does anybody remember the old Bob & Ray radio show? They had an ongoing skit called "Mary Backstage, Noble Wife" which was a spoof of the radio soap "Mary Noble, Backstage Wife". In the spoof, the lead characters owned a restaurant that served only two items: toast, and frosty prune whip shakes. They installed the biggest industrial toast maker they could find - it pumped out something like 7,000 slices an hour - but it was so big it only left room for 2 chairs in the dining area.

I wonder if Josey Baker has thought about adding shakes to his menu. Life does tend to imitate art, and he's halfway there already.

Was that a national radio show? There was an early morning Bob & Ray radio show weekdays in the LA area back in the 70s that I listened to while driving to work.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 pm