The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Finger Lake Wines: can anyone help me get some?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Finger Lake Wines: can anyone help me get some?

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Next month I'd like to showcase some Finger Lake wines for our neighborhood wine group. I'll need four bottles each of four to six wines, all white, but I don't know which ones or how to get them shipped to me from a remote location. When there in 2010, we didn't meet any local wine shops with a good selection of local juice--the one we went into seemed to sell only the wines of the lesser producers. If I concentrated my efforts on one or two wineries I could probably get them sent to me, but it would certainly be more cost effective to consolidate the shipment.

Any advice?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Finger Lake Wines: can anyone help me get some?

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Try these people: http://www.winedeals.com/.
They have a great selection of NY State wines and they ship to WA. Also, while not from the Finger Lakes, you may want to consider the 2012 21 Brix Dry Riesling, which is made in the Chataqua Region, off Lake Erie, south of Buffalo: http://www.winedeals.com/21-brix-dry-riesling-2012-750-ml-73135.html. It's outstanding.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks, Howie, both for the link and the personal recommendation on the Chataqua wine--I'd definitely be interested in expanding the theme to include other NY AVA's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 am

Vignoles is my favorite hybrid grape and you may enjoy this: http://www.winedeals.com/anthony-road-vignoles-2010-750-ml-67854.html. And for something different, here's an outstanding cider that I've enjoyed several bottles of: http://www.winedeals.com/leonard-oakes-steampunk-cider-nv-750-ml-66896.html. As far as other Rieslings, I don't get to the Finger Lakes often, so perhaps Dan Smothergill or someone else would be better at recommendations.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 am

Howie's recommendations about where and what to get are mine also. For some more choices, I'd suggest Ventosa Friulano, Ravine's Dry Riesling, Anthony Road 2012 Gewurztraminer and Wiemer's Chardonnay. Let us know what your group thinks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Dan, thanks. Wiemar's chardonnay was one of the top wines from our 2010 trip up that way, and I'd definitely want it if it's not too hard to get. (Shipping costs could kill me if I order from too many disparate sources.)
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Jenise,

probably too late for this weekend, but try Northside Wines in Ithaca. They ship and have a great selection of FL wines, probably best in the area.

Mark
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 pm

+1 re Northside in Ithaca..a must stop for us when we are in the Ithaca area
Jon
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 am

(Shipping costs could kill me if I order from too many disparate sources.)

You probably can get everything Howie and I suggested from Premier (Buffalo/Amhest). I don't know whether Northside has the cider.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks re the recco of the wine store in Ithaca, but I'd already got in touch with someone Howie recommended. I specifically mentioned interest in the 21 Brix Dry Reisling as well as the Wiemer chardonnay, the latter of which was my favorite white of the short 2010 trip I made to the region (so sorry I didn't set something up earlier on that trip so that I could meet some of you, I didn't realize that so many lived within shouting distance of where I'd be).

Anyway, here's his list which doesn't include either of the wines I expressed an interest in, but I'll toss it out here for your collective thoughts. I like the Ravines suggestion, in that Ravines was one of the best wineries I visited when there. Not sure about serving a Rkatsiteli, or even a Cab Franc. Now I get what the latter is to the region, but the geek-level in the group I'm pouring for is fairly low. Most wines aren't intellectually 'interesting' to them and they don't do a very good job of looking at wines within their context, they just think a wine's good or it's not and they live in a wine growing region that has schooled their palates to a far higher degree of ripeness than is typically achievable in New York. Keep that in mind when you consider:

Chateau Lafayette Reneau Pinot Noir
Eveningside Vineyards (unoaked) Chardonnay
21 Brix Gewürztraminer
Ravines Dry Riesling, Argetsinger Vineyard
Dr. Konstantin Frank Rkatsiteli
Arrowhead Spring Vineyards Meritage Reserve Ravines Dry Riesling
Keuka Lake Vineyards Cabernet Franc

I was unsure if you would want a desert wine, this is world class:
Leonard Oakes Vidal Icewine

Your “Inexpensive” pours
Standing Stone Vineyards Riesling Finger Lakes
Chateau Lafayette Reneau Pinot Noir Blanc (basic dry rose)
Keuka Spring Chardonnay
Glenora Cabernet Franc
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm

The following wines on your list are from the Niagara Escarpment AVA, which is actually quite distinct from the Finger Lakes and is more akin to the Canadian Niagara Escarpment: Eveningside Vineyards (unoaked) Chardonnay; Arrowhead Spring Vineyards Meritage Reserve and Leonard Oakes Vidal Icewine. I've had all of those wines (all very good) and know all the wine makers. 2010 and 2012 were both excellent vintages for the area. Here's a link to an article about the Leonard Oakes Ice Wine: http://thedailynewsonline.com/lifestyles/food/article_aae7555c-4d97-5431-8be5-cac00fc291b4.html.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Howie Hart wrote:The following wines on your list are from the Niagara Escarpment AVA, which is actually quite distinct from the Finger Lakes and is more akin to the Canadian Niagara Escarpment: Eveningside Vineyards (unoaked) Chardonnay; Arrowhead Spring Vineyards Meritage Reserve and Leonard Oakes Vidal Icewine. I've had all of those wines (all very good) and know all the wine makers. 2010 and 2012 were both excellent vintages for the area. Here's a link to an article about the Leonard Oakes Ice Wine: http://thedailynewsonline.com/lifestyles/food/article_aae7555c-4d97-5431-8be5-cac00fc291b4.html.

Yes, I understand, and I like the idea of spreading out. But put the Wiemar chardonnay and the one above side by side. Any contest? I suspect the Wiemar would win handily, and if that the case it's what we should use. Like I said, it's what's in the glass that makes them happy.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:44 pm

I've never had the Weimer Chardonnay (unless it was at the winery many years ago), so I can't really compare them. The Eveningside has been praised by wine writers and bloggers from Buffalo and Toronto. I like it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Howie, just talked to Ed. The Wiemer wasn't recommended because unfortunately they don't have it in stock at present. I'm cutting out the Dr. Frank (so hated that winery's insulting cattle-car approach to a tasting room, I find myself not wanting to buy anything of theirs) and substituting something else. May look into buying the Wiemer from someone else, too.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Perhaps from the winery? I can't seem to find their shipping info. Maybe you could call them.
http://wiemer.com/wines/chardonnay/
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:48 pm

I can put you in touch with John Zuccarino - he should be able to source you some 'fighting' varietals..... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm

LOL Bill! Poor guy--recognized him in a restaurant we dined at there in 2010. Unfortunately, part of what called him to my attention was the fact that he could barely walk.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 pm

I was wondering about this. Did your shipments arrive OK? When is the event?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 am

Did the event ever happen?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes it did, Howie, a few months ago--in June. I guess I never got around to writing up tasting notes. Some of the wines were good, but several were QUITE disappointing. I'll see if I can dig up my notes.