Tonight's appetizer

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Salmon carpaccio! Fresh Icelandic salmon salt-cured for about six hours in stage one, then marinated overnight with fennel and coriander seeds, olive oil and sauvignon blanc.
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG (45.43 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:27 am

Lovely!!

Makes me think of the salmon toro a friend and I had at a local sushi bar last week. One of the best pieces of fish of any kind that I've ever had.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am

Jenise wrote:Salmon carpaccio! Fresh Icelandic salmon, salt cured for about six hours in stage one, then marinated overnight with fennel and coriander seeds, olive oil and sauvignon blanc.
IMG_1147.JPG

Beautiful, did you marinate the onions, as well?
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Karen, yes but separately. Just a quick 15 minute treatment with lime juice to soften them and salt plus a few drops of olive oil for seasoning.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 pm

That looks so incredibly good that I am aching to come up with a plant-based version. I don't have any really good ideas for the protein, though. :lol:
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Robin, I often do a beet carpaccio, sometimes with paper thin slices of fennel bulb as well and crumbled chevre underneath the final layer of lightly pickled sweet onion. You'd like a whole lot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, I often do a beet carpaccio, sometimes with paper thin slices of fennel bulb as well and crumbled chevre underneath the final layer of lightly pickled sweet onion. You'd like a whole lot.

Mmmm! That sounds good. Interestingly, a trendy new place here, Mussel & Burger Bar, makes a veggie burger using beets. Specifically, beets, red quinoa and a shot of piquant spice, topped with goat cheese and black-olive aioli on a pretzel bun.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:That looks so incredibly good that I am aching to come up with a plant-based version. I don't have any really good ideas for the protein, though. :lol:

Why not make the fish version?
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Why not make the fish version?

Because in my current phase I am choosing not to eat anything that has a face or a mommy, and I'm being stubborn about it. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Why not make the fish version?

Because in my current phase I am choosing not to eat anything that has a face or a mommy, and I'm being stubborn about it. :mrgreen:

Ok, however I have discovered your restaurant critique and see that your are eating "faces" and commenting on them. Am I looking at an outdated blog?
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:outdated blog?

Karen, nah. But I don't dine alone. ;) (And I don't mention my protein preferences in my reviews. I just report on everything that our party tastes.)
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

Oh, I see
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Sounds tasty! Has anybody tried this with a different kind of fish? Please share your idea.
User avatar
Joe T
Wine geek
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Interesting question, Joe. Seems like some other types of fish ought to work.

By the way, welcome to the FLDG! Hope you like it here.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks Mike, glad to be here!

I might try this with some red snapper.
User avatar
Joe T
Wine geek
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Joe, I made it again this week with fresh steelhead 'trout', the bright orange fleshed fish that's related to salmon but apparently isn't salmon. My filets were large, each side about two pounds. It worked very well. I have no doubt this would work excellently with any fish that's safe to eat raw, but you might need to vary the salt cure time for thinner fish. Some could/would break down more under the salt (rock salt's best for slow/even dissolving, or something like Baleine Coarse), and I think if I were using snapper I'd consider reducing the curing time by an hour or two. I'm going to try this method with halibut soon--will report when I do!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Jenise, it really sounds like you know what you're talking about. Maybe I'll just wait to hear how the halibut works out for you. Cheers!
User avatar
Joe T
Wine geek
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Joe T wrote:Jenise, it really sounds like you know what you're talking about. Maybe I'll just wait to hear how the halibut works out for you. Cheers!


Halibut and snapper are very different. Out here on the west coast fresh snapper isn't in my range of options so I don't work with it, but judging by what happens to halibut in a ceviche and the snapper I've had in sushi (where do THEY get it?), snapper has thinner layers that are more tightly integrated, so it should work much BETTER in this recipe than halibut, which breaks down so easily--I think. But it's thinner, so....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tonight's appetizer

Postby Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Jenise wrote:
Joe T wrote:Jenise, it really sounds like you know what you're talking about. Maybe I'll just wait to hear how the halibut works out for you. Cheers!


Halibut and snapper are very different. Out here on the west coast fresh snapper isn't in my range of options so I don't work with it, but judging by what happens to halibut in a ceviche and the snapper I've had in sushi (where do THEY get it?), snapper has thinner layers that are more tightly integrated, so it should work much BETTER in this recipe than halibut, which breaks down so easily--I think. But it's thinner, so....


That is, snapper's thinner....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26552
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests