WTN: Firm favourites

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Firm favourites

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:57 pm

Fettucine al naturale. A strange concoction of beef and tomatoes and herbs on top. Brain food. I'm losing my touch in the kitchen. Chinon and Riesling gladly go with everything so dinner wasn't a disaster. My guest actually liked the food! He loves Rieslings and is open to challenging wines so I opened a favourite of mine, Joguet, for him to try. He said he liked it but stuck mostly to the Riesling.

  • 1997 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos du Chêne Vert - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (4/14/2006)
    Juicy shit. This rocks.
  • 2001 Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim Rotschiefer Riesling Spätlese Trocken - Germany, Rheinhessen, Nierstein (4/14/2006)
    Slightly gold. The openly expressive nose is pungent, young, sweet, perhaps slightly botrytised and earthy rather than mineral. The palate is fully dry, assertive, pungent, very mineral and very earthy. I usually find fully dry Spätleses to be cumbersome and too alcoholic but this carries its 12% very well. This, though unmistakeably German, has Alsatian austerity and strength. Very good and very long but too powerful to be elegant.

Posted from CellarTracker
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Rahsaan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:46 pm

challenging wines so I opened a favourite of mine, Joguet


??

I guess 'challenging' is a relative concept?
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
challenging wines so I opened a favourite of mine, Joguet


??

I guess 'challenging' is a relative concept?


The 97 is very bretty for a Loire and he had tasted very little out of the mainstream (i.e. Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone) before I started serving him things like Musar, Muscadet, etc., so yes, using his words it was a challenging wine. A relative concept indeed.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Rahsaan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: he had tasted very little out of the mainstream (i.e. Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone) before I started serving him things like Musar, Muscadet, etc..


Good for you, and although I think Muscadet is quite easy to like (if a bit harder to love for certain palates), Musar, good god! I assume he survived..
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Otto » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote: he had tasted very little out of the mainstream (i.e. Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone) before I started serving him things like Musar, Muscadet, etc..


Good for you, and although I think Muscadet is quite easy to like (if a bit harder to love for certain palates), Musar, good god! I assume he survived..


Very funny Rahsaan. He actually liked it.

And on Muscadet: I'm thinking of buying a mixed case from abroad (as no drinkables available here). Since you have more experience with this lovely nectar, which producers would you say are a must?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Rahsaan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Very funny Rahsaan. He actually liked it.


Yes. I actually really liked a 93 Musar red last night, it had been opened for many hours so perhaps that is what reduced the brett/va, but it was my best and most enlightening Musar experience to date. Very very pleasurable.

And on Muscadet: I'm thinking of buying a mixed case from abroad (as no drinkables available here). Since you have more experience with this lovely nectar, which producers would you say are a must?


Luneau Papin, Marc Ollivier (Domaine de la Pepiere), Guy Bossard are probably the core three and definite musts. Bregeon is good, Joseph Landron is not bad, maybe some others.. But those are my top three at the moment.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Otto » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:Very funny Rahsaan. He actually liked it.


Yes. I actually really liked a 93 Musar red last night, it had been opened for many hours so perhaps that is what reduced the brett/va, but it was my best and most enlightening Musar experience to date. Very very pleasurable.

And on Muscadet: I'm thinking of buying a mixed case from abroad (as no drinkables available here). Since you have more experience with this lovely nectar, which producers would you say are a must?


Luneau Papin, Marc Ollivier (Domaine de la Pepiere), Guy Bossard are probably the core three and definite musts. Bregeon is good, Joseph Landron is not bad, maybe some others.. But those are my top three at the moment.


I just saw your note on Therapy and responded! Thanks for the Muscadet info. How do you like Cherau-Carré? That's available at a restaurant at a price which won't cut my arm and leg off...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: TNs: Firm favourites

Postby Rahsaan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:How do you like Cherau-Carré? That's available at a restaurant at a price which won't cut my arm and leg off...


Never heard of them.

But of course Muscadet should rarely be priced to cut off limbs.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC


Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests