Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thinking of an appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Thinking of an appetizer

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:42 am

Many years ago, at a wedding, we were served rolled lasagna, stuffed with something I don't remember (shrimp salad?) and placed on end. It was good, but I was impressed with the presentation and it has always been in the back of mind. So, I've been thinking of something along those lines and here is what I have come up with. It would have layers of red, white and green and a bit of crunch from the red bell pepper. Any thoughts or suggestions? I plan to make this in the not-to-distant future.

Rolled Lasagna Appetizer

Cook wavy-edge lasagna. Rinse in cold water and lay out on cookie sheet with a thin coating of EVOO.
Spread a thin layer of green olive tapenade on pasta – keep between waves and leave 3/4 inch space bare at each end.
Spread a thin layer of finely mashed white albacore tuna in olive oil on top of tapenade.
Spread a thin layer of finely chopped red bell pepper on top of tuna.
Cut off the root ends of green onions. Cut off the tops so the green onion is 3 inches longer than the width of a lasagna noodle. Split the top 3 inches into quarters.
Lay green onion on one end of noodle with root end even with one side and gently roll into a spiral. Secure spiral with 2 toothpicks. Flip onto side, onto a spatula, with green onion top sticking out. Gently slide onto small serving plate. Place a cherry or grape tomato into center of split green onion top. Drizzle with a teaspoon of EVOO, sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper and coarse salt and serve.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Thinking of an appetizer

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Instead of the chopped red bell pepper why not use Adjar? It is the Balkan spread of red peppers and eggplant. You can even find it at TJs.
I think I might do it with crab and adjar.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:33 pm

I've never heard of adjar. Buffalo finally got a TJs about 6 months ago and I may need an excuse to go there. Thx Geo.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Adjar?

Geo, might you be thinking of "ajvar"? Pronounced "Eye-var," it's a Croatian (and probably also Serbian and pan-Balkan) sauce of roasted red peppers and garlic, often with eggplant and other veggies as well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Is this a standup appie or a sit-down type for eating with knife and fork? Especially if the former, the tuna itself needs another ingredient to help keep it in your vertical lasagna noodles, Howie. It will fall out, or squirt out if bit into from the top. Mashed white beans would get you there, possibly with the help of a little cream, mayo or olive oil to make it spreadable. If you use Trader Joe's most-excellent canned tuna, you'll have the OO you need, and it's already tuna-flavored.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

This would be with a knife & fork. I'm thinking that it would look impressive when presented and become pretty much discombobulated once eating it starts. I didn't mention it earlier, but it could be placed on a lettuce leaf on the plate. I was also thinking that if it was made bigger by using longer noodles, it could be served with soup and a loaf of fresh bread for lunch or a light supper. I'm going to do a trial run, to work out techniques and measurements, including how long to make the noodles before I declare it a recipe.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Howie Hart wrote:This would be with a knife & fork. I'm thinking that it would look impressive when presented and become pretty much discombobulated once eating it starts. I didn't mention it earlier, but it could be placed on a lettuce leaf on the plate. I was also thinking that if it was made bigger by using longer noodles, it could be served with soup and a loaf of fresh bread for lunch or a light supper. I'm going to do a trial run, to work out techniques and measurements, including how long to make the noodles before I declare it a recipe.

A lettuce leaf would make it less stable for presentation, Howie. Best, I think, to put the roll on the plate and drizzle a vinaigrette around it for additional and more pungent punches of flavor. You might consider adding celery leaves to your tuna mixture. (I love tuna and pasta as a salad, btw, so I can really picture this.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 am

I always put celery leaves in my tuna salad. I hate when I'm shopping and the tops of all the celery heads have been chopped off. Another favorite, taught to me by my Mother, is an omelet, made with beat eggs, poured over celery leaves sauteed in EVOO for about 30 seconds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:21 am

Howie, me too. I love this time of year when I can buy locally grown celery in which none of the plant is clipped away. Btw, in the Netherlands, they so prize the leaves you can actually buy little packages of just the tops--there, it's a classic thing to add to a pot of mussels, which is a popular home preparation.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
GeoCWeyer wrote:Adjar?

Geo, might you be thinking of "ajvar"? Pronounced "Eye-var," it's a Croatian (and probably also Serbian and pan-Balkan) sauce of roasted red peppers and garlic, often with eggplant and other veggies as well.

I have seen it spelled different ways. The first time I encountered it was at a Friday night fish fry at the Serb Hall in Milwaukee. I think it is pretty much pan Balkan. When I make sun dried tomato pesto I always add some of it.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain